We have the smoothest liars in the world - B. Young

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Re: We have the smoothest liars in the world - B. Young

Post by _JLHPROF »

SteelHead wrote:And the new essay that says the contrary on lds.org?

PR. What else?
And to be clear the essay doesn't say contrary. They claim that we have no doctrine to back it up.
But unless they consider the 1978 revelation to be a rebuke for man made policies (which doesn't fit with the narrative surrounding it) then it must be revoking an earlier revelation and fulfilling prophecy.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

So to paraphrase what you said - the church is being intentionally misleading in order to have greater public reception?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

You are both saying the Church "lies" when they withhold information or tell partial truth. I am agreeing with you. You say this goes against basic Church teachings. I am agreeing with you and explaining one possible way that is justified using scriptural examples as principles. You are free to reject that justification in favor of assuming the worst possible motivations.

Considering you both believe all of Mormonism is a lie (fraud) I'm not sure why you focus on any particulars lies you encounter. Most people don't waste time on any particular lies once they've labeled someone a liar. Kind of like bailing water on the Titanic.

Right. You are going to believe this repulsive BS no matter what we say or you wouldn't be defending it (Cause that is what you are doing). You know, I get that. But I'm still going to point out it is repulsive BS as long as you keep defending it and that your defense is ridiculous and repulsive as well.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

SteelHead wrote:So to paraphrase what you said - the church is being intentionally misleading in order to have greater public reception?

Yes.
Despite Brigham Young's warning not to do that.
Thy mind, O man! if thou wilt lead a soul unto salvation, must stretch as high as the utmost heavens, and search into and contemplate the darkest abyss, and the broad expanse of eternity—thou must commune with God. - Joseph Smith
_JLHPROF
_Emeritus

Post by _JLHPROF »

grindael wrote:Right. You are going to believe this repulsive BS no matter what we say or you wouldn't be defending it (Cause that is what you are doing). You know, I get that. But I'm still going to point out it is repulsive ____ as long as you keep defending it and that your defense is ridiculous and repulsive as well.

You are always welcome to disagree. But just because you find something repulsive or ridiculous doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you either. I find nothing repulsive in the gospel, and as for ridiculous...some of the most ridiculous teachings are my favorite.
I especially love the one about the carpenter who walked on water and came back from the dead.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I like the ridiculous stories as well. One of my favorites is when Joe and the bros took a cinnamon whiskey bath together and washed each other's bodies.

And to think, the church won't baptize the kids of gay parents. Go figure.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

JLHPROF wrote:
grindael wrote:Right. You are going to believe this repulsive BS no matter what we say or you wouldn't be defending it (Cause that is what you are doing). You know, I get that. But I'm still going to point out it is repulsive ____ as long as you keep defending it and that your defense is ridiculous and repulsive as well.

You are always welcome to disagree. But just because you find something repulsive or ridiculous doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you either. I find nothing repulsive in the gospel, and as for ridiculous...some of the most ridiculous teachings are my favorite.
I especially love the one about the carpenter who walked on water and came back from the dead.

Nice try at diversion. There is a world of difference between someone who says he saw Jesus do that and DIED FOR IT, and someone who is just an average run of the mill hypocrite. Peter did later deny knowing him, but he repented, something you will never see from Mormon "authorities". They will just continue to lie. But by all means, keep spinning. And I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with me. I'm only giving my opinion. Funny you should see it that way. And my oh my, here you go claiming the "gospel" is what I'm talking about. It isn't. It is the hypocritical men that are at the head of your church, and the ones who pervert it, starting with Joseph Smith.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

JLHPROF wrote:
SteelHead wrote:So to paraphrase what you said - the church is being intentionally misleading in order to have greater public reception?

Yes.
Despite Brigham Young's warning not to do that.

So while the church asks you if you are honest with your fellow men, you are ok with the church lying..... ?

How does one discern then when something promoted as doctrine is a lie, and when it isn't?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

SteelHead wrote:How does one discern then when something promoted as doctrine is a lie, and when it isn't?

Discernment is no longer needed when you have the Elder Dodo Hollowheads of the church making up scenarios to cover up for all the doctrinal lies.

I will choose a Steelhead over a Hollowhead every time.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Tator wrote:
SteelHead wrote:How does one discern then when something promoted as doctrine is a lie, and when it isn't?

Discernment is no longer needed when you have the Elder Dodo Hollowheads of the church making up scenarios to cover up for all the doctrinal lies.

I will choose a Steelhead over a Hollowhead every time.

Yes, since the Dodo has now discredited the HG promptings as unreliable--after all, Holland and his son wanted a directive to take the correct road not the 400 yard dead end--all LDS have now is blind obedience to try to counter the use of reason and logic.
Rage Against the Machine wrote:'now do what they tell ya.'