Satan Uses Logic and Reasoning Against Us?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Satan Uses Logic and Reasoning Against Us?

Post by _Maksutov »

Scott Lloyd wrote:

Not all "logic and reasoning" is inherently sound or valid. In fact, the definition of sophistry is logic or reasoning that appears sound on the surface but really isn't.

I should think they would have covered this on day two of law school.

Getting books out of hats with magic rocks should have been covered the first day of first grade. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Philo Sofee wrote:Preaching seldom includes reasoning and logic. It's why school is more valuable to learn these indispensible skills rather than conference.

Preaching is a performance art designed to manipulate others to feel emotions according to culturally generated and maintained scripts. It can be used to benefit a tribe, a religion, a commercial or governmental group, many agendas. It is not a source of information but rather is designed as a source of influence.
_Scott Lloyd
_Emeritus

Post by _Scott Lloyd »

Maksutov wrote:
Scott Lloyd wrote:Not all "logic and reasoning" is inherently sound or valid. In fact, the definition of sophistry is logic or reasoning that appears sound on the surface but really isn't.

I should think they would have covered this on day two of law school.

Getting books out of hats with magic rocks should have been covered the first day of first grade. :lol:

So do you have a reasoned response to my post? Or is a juvenile cheap shot the best one can hope for from you?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Scott Lloyd wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Getting books out of hats with magic rocks should have been covered the first day of first grade. :lol:

So do you have a reasoned response to my post? Or is a juvenile cheap shot the best one can hope for from you?

I am sure you get the point, which is that is a little ironic for representatives of a religion that sees the stories of the origins and production of the Book of Mormon as worthy of belief to lecture people about the careful and critical evaluation of evidence and argument.

(But you must only practice such careful and critical evaluation of evidence and argument, of course, when it helps you continue believing in stories of Jewish colonies in ancient America translated by means of magic rocks.)
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Scott Lloyd wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Getting books out of hats with magic rocks should have been covered the first day of first grade. :lol:

Sophistry is 'the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.' https://www.google.com/search?q=sophistry&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS688US689&oq=sophistry&aqs=chrome..69i57.1991j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 That shoe fits the religious foot, not so much the secular one.

As you took the first 'cheap shot' about day 2 of law school, you seem a bit thin skinned as to Maksutov's reply in kind. Do magic rocks in hats embarrass you? Or are you covering more for the fact that the COB felt embarrassed by it and so whitewashed it for decades and decades out of the Mormon founding narrative?
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Scott Lloyd wrote:

Your post was not reasonable but was inexcusably biased and shallow. It's true that I should not have stooped to your level in my response. But you're welcome to run whining back to your board buddies about it. :lol:
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Scott Lloyd wrote:So do you have a reasoned response to my post? Or is a juvenile cheap shot the best one can hope for from you?

Oh the irony. Scott Lloyd makes a juvenile cheap shot in his first post on this thread, but complains when someone else, to point out his inappropriate behavior, gives him the same treatment back.
Scott Lloyd wrote:Not all "logic and reasoning" is inherently sound or valid.

Then it wouldn't be defined as logical and reasoned, would it?

Definition of LOGIC:
reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

And when their eloquence escapes you
Their logic ties you up and rapes you!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Lemmie wrote:Oh the irony. Scott Lloyd makes a juvenile cheap shot in his first post on this thread, but complains when someone else, to point out his inappropriate behavior, gives him the same treatment back.

This is the great Mormon Apologetics of the latter days. :wink: Cue the harrumphing from DCP and the usual dorks.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

How nice it is in the agnostic to atheist state, that the whole concept of Satan is so ridiculous. It just seems so plan there is no boogie man constantly trying to destroy us.

I wonder how far President Uchtdorf would take his own talk this last conference on the need for everyone to drop all the fear based nonsense?