Council of 50 Minutes

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Council of 50 Minutes

Post by _grindael »

WILFORD WOODRUFF'S JOURNAL - APRIL 19, 1844 - MAY 31, 1844.

19th I was severely afflicted with a cold through the day.

20th In company with Elder Brigham Young I left Nauvoo & rode to Lima in a buggy & spent the night with father Morley. 25 miles.

21 Sunday It was a rainy day yet we held a meeting with the Saints. Their was a large number present. Elder Young preached in the fore part of the day. I spoke in the afternoon and was followed by Elder Young who addressd the Elders & Called for volunteers when 26 Elders gave their names to go out preaching. We spent the night at Br Morleys.

22d A vary raining morning. In the afternoon we harnessed & went on to the city plot laid out for a city. Elder Young and myself bought a lot in the City. Parted with father Morley & rode to Br William Drapers & had to take shelter from a tremen-dious storm of wind hail & rain & spent the night.

23d We returned to Nauvoo. I was glad to get home. 25 m.

24th Spent the day at home to work in my garden.

25 Met in council with the Twelve.

26, 27 I got lime for plastering my house.

28th Sunday I attended meeting in the evening with all the quorums of the elders to prepare for our missions.

29th & 30 I commenced plastering my house.

May

May 1st & 2d Finished plastering two rooms.

3d I hung 4 doors primed them & lade my lower floors.

4th I mooved into my new brick house & truly felt thankful to have a comfortable dwelling to leave my family in while I go on my mishion.

May 5th 1844 I spent the day at home with my family to prepare for my summers mishion. I Called my family together & blessed them. Phebe washed my fees that I might be clean evry whit. I spent the evening at home.

6th I spent the day in council & had a good time. Many of the Elders & Saints from abroad have arived of late among which are Elders J M Grant L. R. Foster & many others. Br John Neff and family have arived on a visit. They Called upon us. He is about to purchase of Br Joseph & return home.

* On Sunday May 5th A number of Apostates met together & organized a new Church or pretended to & took a strong stand against the Prophet Joseph & the Twelve & against the Church. The leaders of this band is Walmart. & Wilson Law R. D. Foster Chauncy & Francis Higby, & Mr Cole James Blakesley & others.

7th I spent the day in Council the last time that I expect to meet in council in Nauvoo untill after my summers mission. I had an interview with Elder Whittaker. He assisted me to pile some wood in the Suller. It was a hard rainy day. Sister Barbara Neff spent the day with us.

8th I spent the day in company with Mrs Woodruff in the garding weeding.

May 9th 1844 I arose in the morning and arranged some domestic affairs & was again under the necessity of parting with my family for the purpose of spending another summer on a mission through the United States to attend the general conferences. It has been my lot to travel in the vineyard evry summer with one exception for the last ten years of my live. I took the parting hand with my family & left Nauvoo in company with Elders G. A. Smith J. M. Grant and Ezra Thayer and son. Br Thayer had a team & offered to accompany us on our Journey. We rode to Laharp & spent the night. Elder Smith & myself spent the night with Elder George Colson. Br's Thayer and Grant at Br Shaw. We held a meeting in the place with the Saints. I addressed the meeting and was followed by Elders Grant & Smith. Distance of the day 25 m.

/(Joseph Smith) (HS) I this day took the last Parting hand & look with the Prophet and Patriarch at their own dwellings. O O what a look Joseph gave me. Ah he knew what I did not./

10 We left Laharp & travled across the beautiful prairies to Br Aaron Powers & spent the night 1 1/2 miles from Greenfield on swan creek. Thousands of Pigeons were on his farm. 27 m.

11th We travled across the prairies this day to Br Justice Ames On Ceder Creek within 3 miles of Galesburg. It was the first time I had been on his farm. He had a plesent place of 100 acres & 40 acres in Corn & wheat. They all appeared glad to see me. We spent the night with them. I talked with them untill about midnight. In the morning before we left, we lade hands upon Br Justice Ames & his Son Christopher Ames & ordained them unto the office of Elders. Distance of the day 20 miles.

12th Sunday We parted with Br Ames family. He accompanied us on our way 12 miles to the big mound & we parted with him & he returned & we continued on to walnut grove & stoped at Br John Gaylord & fed the Horses. I accompanied Br Grant to his fathers house. He found them well except his mother was some out of health. His father Joshua Grant was a school mate of my fathers in Connecticut. Told an anacdote concerning a coon & a cheese.

After spending 2 hours plesantly & dining with them we took our departure & rode to Fraker's Groove & spent the night with Br Austin Grant & Gideon Gillet. Distance of the day 31 miles.

13th I wrote a letter to Mrs Woodruff & sent By Elder Grant. Informed her to write to kirt-land. We had a rainy morning. We parted with Elder Grant and rode to Toulon and spent the night with Br Adam Perry. Held a meeting with the Saints & appointed a meeting at the Court House at 2 oclock on the morrow. Distance of the day 9 m.

14th Spent the fore part of the day at Br Lane's. Met at the Toulon Court House at 2 oclok according to appointment. When we arived the methodist had Collected saying they had an appointment at the same hour. We adjourned ours to Br Perrys. Before we arived at his house the M Preacher Came & wished us to hold our meeting in the Court House according to appointment. We did so. I preached & was followed by a few remarks by Elder Smith. We dissmissed our meeting & we stoped & herd the methodist preach his discourse. We spent the night at Br Lanes.

We wrote a letter to the Editor of the Times.

15th A rainy day & we drove all day in the rain and stoped all night in Indian Town. Br Thayer & Son stoped at the Tavern & Elder G. A. Smith & myself spent the night at Mr Dunns. Distance 33 m.

16th We drove again all day in the rain & stoped for the night at Mr Hartsons in LaSalle Co. Distance 30.

17th It still continues to rain. We met two families of the Saints moveing to Nauvoo. We rode to Ottaway called upon Br Sangen & took dinner. Saw Br Buzzard, Lightfoot. We found an advertisement for some of the Twelve to attend a meeting at the Court House & deliver a lecture upon the Subject of Gen Smith views of the goverment &c. Elder G. A. Smith stoped and attended to it. Had about 300 present. I continued on to the LaSalle Branch of about 50 members from Norway. I preached to them & had a good time & spent the night at Br Goodman Hogus. Distance 25 m.

May 18th Conference met in Georgetown Newark Kendle co. at one oclok P.M. There were present W. Woodruff & G. A. Smith of the quorum of the Twelve 1 High Priest, 2 Seventies, 9 Elders, 1 Priest, 1 Teacher. Conference Called to order by Elder Woodruff. Elder G. A. Smith Called to the Chair. Conference opened by singing and Prayer by the President. Representation of the several branches Called for. Archibal M. Wilson reprepresented the Newark branch:

34 m 1 Elder 1 Teacher
Ole Hare do LaSalle branch 46 2 Elders
Elder Brighton do. Ottaway b 16 2 do
" " Indian Creek 5
" Big Vermillion 4
Elder Anderson Rep
Beavro Branch 15 3
French Creek Grove 2
Plessant Grove McHenry Co 0 2
133 m 10 Elder 1 T[p.398]

It was moved sooon & carried that:

Canute Peterson Levi Lightfoot
Severt Olson Simpson D. Huffaker
Zimri H. Baxter Mades Madison
Vance Jacobs And Oder Jacobson
be ordained Elders. Also Henry Saba be ordained A Priest. Also Ole Johnson & Peter Maclin be ordained Teachers All of which persons were then ordained unto the offices assigned them under the Hands of Elders W. Woodruff G. A. Smith & Ezra Thayer.

Appropriate remarks were then made by Elders Woodruff & Smith by way of council & instruction to those who had been ordained, & was followed by Elder David Savage. Adjourned to Sunday 10 oclok.

19th Met persuant to adjournment. Opened by singing, & prayer by Elder A.M. Wilsey. A discourse was then deliverd by Elder W. Woodruff in which he instructed the Elders to be careful to preach the first principle of the gospel & doctrin of Christ & not spend their time in warring with the opinions of other men. Showed the importance of revelation, & the necessity of A prophet of God as the head of the Church on earth, being as necessary in order to exhist & advance in knowledge as for a natural body to possess a head in order to live. He considerd we were enjoying the society of as good a prophet in this day as any people ever enjoyed any age of the world, & believed all good men would think so when they became fully aquainted with him & his principles.

He was followed by Elder G. A. Smith who bore testimony to the truth of the fullness of the gospel. Councilled the Elders to be humble, and not get head & sholdiers above their brethren lest they fall like the tallest trees of the forest that are first swept down by the raging storm & made many appropriate remarks which was well received by the congregation. Adjourned untill 2 oclok.

Met according to adjournment at the House of Br Manchester when the sacrament was administered to the Church & many testimonies given from the Elders & members present concerning the truth of the work they had recieved, & conference was dismissed amid the best of feelings, not ownly which was manifested by all the Saints, but by the whole congregation of citizens that attended. Good order prevailed through the whole conference. Attention kindness and civility was manifest by all who were present.

Geo A Smith, President Asa Manchester, Clerk

At the Close of the conference Elders Charles C Rich David Fulmer & Henry Jacobs Arived direct from Nauvoo & spent the night with us.

20th I wrote a letter to Mrs Woodruff & sent her $5 dollars. We sent a copy of the minutes of the conference for publication. G. A. Smith sent a few lines to his wife in the same. We mailed the letter in Newark.

In the evening we all met at the school house to deliver a political lecture. I called the meeting to order & made some introductory remarks & introduced to the assembly Mr Henry Jacobs, who arose & read General Joseph Smiths views of the powers and policy of the government of the United States, to the assembly after which I introduced to the meeting Mr David Fulmer who addressed the assembly in an interesting manner. Showed that Gen Smith took a line between the two parties on the banking system & ever thing els almost.

I arose and followed him and urged our claims & rights to cast our votes for a president. Spoke of our persecutions, & the danger the whole people of the United States were in of being destroyed by misrule & mob law if they permitted that principle to triumph.

I was followed by Elder Mr Smith who deliverd a spirited address upon politicks. Spoke of his fathers fighting in defence of our country. Spoke of the treatment we had received from the hands of Vanburen & Clay, & Calhoon &c. All who had spoken had the assistance of the Lord.

When we closed a certain Dr Smith arose and hurrand the people in a vile manner & raised a row. Their was some prospect of fighting, but with soft words we turned away wrath & returned home in peace, & spent the night with Br Wilseys.

21 st We rode to Juliett & spent the night with Mr Dana. We held a meeting in a large school room & deliverd a lecture upon politicks. Mr G. A. Smith called the house to order & introduced me to the assembly & I arose & felt inspired by the spirit of God, & declaired in their midst our rights. Spoke of our persecutions, General Smith's views, our treatment by the government ie. the Judiciary, Leg-eslative and Execative department of Missouri & the United States.

I was followed by Mr D. Fulmer & G. A. Smith. We had the best attention of the people & a good impression was made. Distance of the day 30 miles.

22d We took away the licence from two Elders viz. Theophiles Walter Nixon and his licence was signed by George Coulson Laharp and Arariah L Maul, licence signed by T. W. Nixon. We all rode together. 8 of us in company & /G A Smith/ spent the night at Br Chapmans & I at Br Duals with Br Wilsons 24 miles east of Juliet Will Co Ill in 7 miles of Ia line. 24 mils.

23d Crossed the line into Indiana & rode to Br Maine's & spent the night 8 miles of Val Parazo Porter Co Ia. 28 miles.

24th We rode to Laport, Laport Co Ia & spent the night with Elder Walmart. Rudd. Distance 28 miles.

25th We rode to Bertrand township, Berrian Co State of Michigan & spent the night with Br Gideon Brownell. Distance 20 miles.
Notes of the Country

From Ottaway to Newark is a fine prarie country with a mixture of timber, good improvements set-telled mostly with eastern people. 9 miles west of Ottaway is a Norwegian Settlement (about 50 Saints among them). From Newark to Juliett is a fine country well improved. Mount Joylett stands about 3 miles from Juliett a splendid work of art. Canal passes through Juliett. It is a fine town. From Juliett east the land is not so good on to Indiana line. More wet & swampy.

As we Come near the Indiana line we struk a sand ridge with a large swamp or swail on the North, a miserable country not worth paying taxes for except the timber. Many dwellings we passed all empty.

We passed this kind of country to woods mills which is in Lake Co most of which is poor even on to Valperazo in Porter Co Ia. About 12 miles west of Laport the land begins to improve for several miles. Their is a great forest of shugar maple beach oak & a great variety of timber which is Joined on the east by a most splendid prairie under a high state of improvement to Laport which is the beauty of the State of Indian.

The land was poor about 5 miles to Niles. Niles is a flourishing town. We soon come to a forest of heavy timber of beach maple, Ash, Oak, & untill we reached little prairie round which is a fine prairie. Their is much good timber between little prairie round & Kallamazoo yet the land is mostly poor, many oak barrens, sandy, & stoney land. We pronounced Kalamazoo the best town we had seen since we left Nauvoo. The town of Comstock north of Calamazoo River is heavy timberd. The Country is ordinary ever […] of land.

26th Sunday We spent the day in this place. We preached in a school house in the fore part of the day & had good attention. We went in the afternoon to attend a meeting of Elder R. A. Sprague at the school house about 3 miles north. He had a full congregation of intelligent men. He soon closed when we went in & called upon us to occupy the time.

I arose & addressed the people & was followed by Elder Smith. We left a good impression with the People. Many were believing & wished us to tarry with them. Their is a large field open for labour in this region of Country.

We returned back to Br Brownalls. Took leave of the family & in Company with Br Sprague & Smith the presiding Elder we walked 3 miles & spent the night with Br Smith. Elder G. A. Smith & Thayer spent the night with Br Brownall. Distance of the day 12 mil.

27th Monday We travelled through Niles, Poli-agen prairie, Little Prairie round, & spent the night with Mr Jacob Charles at Decater Vanburen Co Mich. He had a saw mill but a wilderness all around him. Distance of the day 35 miles.

28th We rode to Kalamazoo the finest town we saw since we left Nauvoo. The improvements are after the eastern fashion. From thence to Comstock a small village. We turned to the right to cross a logway about a mile long through a ceder swamp. Our nigh horse stept between two polls & sunk in the mire & fell. We laboured hard to get him out for near 15 minutes we had fears he would break his leg. We had to draw him out by main strength but he got out unharmed. We had the horses across & drew the wagon by hand. The musketoes covered us almost like a cloud.

After harnessing up, we rode a few rods & Came to Br Lemwell Wiard whare we found Father Bent & Br Miles. We spent the night here. I had the following dream:

I was passing by my house with my cloak on & I saw Br Morgan & Harriett. I asked whare Mrs Woodruff was. The answer was in her room but she has company. I walked in to see her & found her in company with two females. It appeared like some of our friends from the east. I thought she appeared at first some unwell. I asked her how she did. She said I get along vary well. I told her I had not herd from her since I left home. She remarked I wrote you a letter day before yesterday which would have been on the 26th of May. I did not see the children. 35 mi.

29th We walked to Elder Ezekel Lees the presiding Elder of the Church. We Copied the following from the session laws of Michigan, which is div[id]ed into three congressional districts as follows to wit: The counties of Monroe, Lenewee, Washtenaw wayne & Hillsdale, first district, And Branch, St Joseph Cass, Berrian, Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Jackson, Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Eaton, Kent, Ottaway, Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Notipekago, Aishcum, Manistee and Kautawauber is Second district. And Macomb, Oakland, Livingston, Ingham, Clinton, Shiawassee, Genesee, Lapeer, St Clair, Mackinae, Chippewa, Saginaw, Tuscola, Midland, Gladwin, Arenae, Ogemaw, Kanotin, Sanilac, Huron and all the other counties not named shall be denominated the third congressional distrit.

30th I spent the day at Br Lees with about a dozen Elders. In the afternoon we held a meeting at the school house. Elder G. A. Smith addressed the assembly. I followed him. We had the spirit of teaching. We were followed By Elder's Bent, Z. Coolton, Keyzer, Dunn &c. We had a good meeting. Spent the nigt at Br Lees. Elders Charles C. Rich Fulmer, Moses Smith & H Jacobs arived which with us all together made a large company.

31st A plesent day. We held a political meeting in Br Lees barn. General Rich called the meeting to order. Mr Henry Jacobs read General Smiths views. I followed him. Spoke of the foundation laid By Gen Smith to unite the nation. Spoke of our persecution, loss of our rights appeal to Mo & the nation being rejected, the danger the goverment was in &c. I was followed by Mr G. A. Smith & D Fulmer both of which spoke well. We left a good impression upon the minds of the people. We spent the night with Br Lee. (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, Vol. 2, 1841–1845, p. 392-403)
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

WILLIAM CLAYTON JOURNAL - APRIL 19, 1844 - MAY 31, 1844

[April 25, 1844. Thursday.] In Council all day. Adjourned sine die.

[April 28, 1844. Sunday.]…Sister Mary Wood came evening attended quorum. We united for President Joseph the Church, the presidency contests the Lawsuits. The apostates, the sick &c. &c. We had a good time. President Joseph was not there.

[May 2, 1844. Thursday.] A.M. preparing to go to Dixon. Went to President Joseph's and he desired me to go to Mr. Laws to find out why they refused to pay their note. I went with [] Moon and asked Wilson [Law] what he meant by saying he had got accounts to balance the note. He seemed to tremble with anger and replied that he had demands for his services when he was ordered to call out the Legion to go and meet Smith besides money which he expended at that time. I told him that was a new idea and that General Smith had had no intimation of any such thing. Walmart. Law came in and mentioned $400 which was borrowed of Baily $300 of which I am satisfied was paid, and the $100 Walmart. Law said he would pay and give it to help defray the expense of the persecution but he now demands the $100 and some more of the $300. On the whole this is to me a certain evidence of the meanness of the men and a proof that they also are disposed to oppress and persecute those who have invariably befriended them and saved them from the public indignation. I returned and told [p.132] Joseph what had passed and he ordered Dr. Richards to sue the notes and also gave Moore his own note for $200. payable 6 months after date.

[May 25, 1844. Saturday.] A.M. at President Joseph's. Also P.M. in council with the quorum. (George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, p. 131-132)
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

JOSEPH SMITH JOURNAL (WILLARD RICHARDS) APRIL 19, 1844 - MAY 31, 1844

Saturday, April 20th 1844 Emma went to St. Louis. [rest of page blank] {page 93}

Sunday, April 21[st] At home. [several lines left blank] B[righam] Young at conference [in] Lima. Kimball [in] conference at Ramus. [several lines left blank] Rain this day. {page 94}

Monday, April 22[nd] 1844 Heavy rain this morning. River very high. All mills stopped in city.

This morning a man who had put up at my house told me he wanted to see me alone. I went into my room with him and he told me he was a prophet of God that he come from Vermont and he prophesied that this government was about to be overthrown and the Kingdom which Daniel spoke of was about to be established some where in the west and he thought in Illinois. [several lines left blank]

Bro[ther] W[illia]m Smith arrived from N[ew] J[ersey] with some 40 or 50 saints. I spent some time with him. [rest of page blank] {page 95}

Tuesday, [April] 23d 1844 At home. 9 [A.M.] to 12 in general meeting in hall to elect delegate to Baltimore convention 1st Monday [in] May. Hollister elected and Hyde and O[rson] Pratt from Washington.

P.M. 3 to 5 in Meeting. Again many speeches about Presidents &c. Appointed 2d Monday in May for state convention at Nauvoo. [several lines left blank] Eve[ning] sun set called at Carlos['s] widow with W[illia]m. Eve[ning] at Dr. Richards with Hiram. [rest of page blank] {page 96}

Wednesday, [April] 24[th] 1844 April At home and about the city. In the eve Bro[ther] Thayer and Dr. Richards and Dr. [p.473] Williams were in my room and a man who boarded at the Masonic Hall. I gave at their instigation a history of the Laws['s—William and Wilson] proceedings in past in trying to make difficulty in my family &c. [rest of page blank] {page 97}

Thursday, April 25[th] 1844 Emma returned from St. Louis. A brother of the St. Louis Gazetts come up at the same time and wanted to know by what principle I got so much power. How many inhabitants and armed men we had &c. I told him on the principle of truth and virtue which would last when I was dead &c.

Council [of Fifty met] from 10 [A.M.] to 12 and from 2 [P.M.] to 5. Adjourned sine die. Appointed a State convention at Nauvoo Friday after the 2d Monday in May the council to disperse abroad in the Nation.

Instructed my clerk Dr. Richards to make out a writ of Habeus Corpus for a Mr Smith of Iowa who was expecting to be arrested by the U[nited] S[tates] Marshal for getting money which was his due or he says at Washington.

A play of Rational amusement was to commence this eve but a tremendous thunder storm and rain commenced about 6 P.M. Mississippi River very high. Higher than known by the oldest inhabitants about. {page 98}

Friday, April 26[th] 1844 At home. 10 A.M. Marshal went up on hill to arrest Augustus Spencer for an assault on his Bro[ther] Orson Spencer for an assault in his own home. R[obert] D. Foster, Charles Foster, and Chaunc[e]y L. Higbee come down.

Charles Foster drew a pistol towards me on the steps of my office. I ordered him to be arrested and the pistol taken from him. A struggle ensued in which Charles Foster, R[obert] D. Foster and Chaunc[e]y L. Higbee resisted and I ordered them to be arrested. They resisted and I Mayor ordered the High policemen to be called and his possey and went on to try A[ugustus]. Spencer. Fined him $100 bound for to keep the peace 6 months.

$100 Bonds appealed to Municipal court at once [by] R[obert] D. Foster, Ghaunc[e]y L. Higbee and Charles Foster[, arrested] for resisting the authorities of the city. O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell sworn Marshal [John Greene] sworn. Said Dr. Foster swore by God he would not assist the Marshal and swore by God they would see the Mayor &c. in hell before they would go. {page 99}

[p.474] Charles Foster drew a pistol. Dr. Foster interfered.Cha[r]les Foster and Chaunc[e]y L. Higbee said they would be God damned if they would not shoot the Mayor. Breathed out many hard threatening and menacing sayings. Would concider favored of God for the privilege of shooting or ridding the world of such a Tyrant referring to the Mayor. J. Coolidge confirmed.Tufts swore [and] confirmed the foregoing statements.

Fined R[obert] D. Foster, Charles Foster and C[hauncey] L. Higbee fined $100 each. Appealed to Municipal Court.

Issued a warrant for a R[obert] D. Foster on complaint of Willard Richards for breach of ordinance in that Foster, said tosaid Richards, "You," shakeing his fists in his face, "are another Damned black hearted villian. You tried to seduce my wife on the boat when she was going to New York and I can prove it. And the oath is out against you."Jos[eph] Smith, W[illard] Richards, John P. Green, Thayer, Elbridge Tufts. (Harding gave a writing to Kimball concerning Foster statement about Joseph &c. charging him with crime) {page 100}

Saturday, April 27[th] 1844 A large company of Gentlemen from St. Louis and other places on the river called at the Mansion and when they returned to the boat it was gone. They returned to the Mansion.

9 A.M. R[obert] D. Foster come up for trial. After much conversation with the Mayor in which he charged Joseph with many crimes [like] Daniteism in Nauvoo, and a great variety of vile and false Epithets and charges. Court adjourned to Monday 9 A.M. Foster agreed to meet Joseph on 2d Monday of May at the stand and have a settlement. Foster then said he would publish it [in the] Warsaw paper. Joseph told him if he did not agree to be quiet [and] not attempt to raise a mob and [threaten violence] he would not meet him. If he would be quiet he would publish it in Neighbor. Foster would not agree to be quiet and Joseph said he was free from his (Foster) blood had made the last overtures of peace, [and] delivered him into the hand of God and shook his garments against him.

Joseph continued in office some time in conversation and then went into the Big Room and read the Warsaw Signal about Mormonism.

Elder L. R. Foster arrived from N[ew] York. Elder Hiram Clark arrived from Liverpool with 150 passengers. Meeting at the [p.475] stand at one o'clock to give instructions to the Elders going out Electioneering addressed by Pres[iden]t Rigdon and W[illia]m Smith. {page 101}

Sunday, April 28[th] 1844 At home. Hyrum preached at the stand. A.M. There was a meeting at Gen[eral] W[illia]m and Wilson Law's near the saw mill of those who had been cut off from the Church and their dupes. Several affidavits were taken and read against Joseph and others. W[illia]m Law, Wilson Law, Austin D. Cowles, John Scott Sen[ior]., Francis M. Higbee, R[obert] D. Foster, and Robert Pierce were appointed a committee to visit the different families of the city and see who would join the new Church (IE [i.e.,]) it was decided that Joseph was [a] fallen prophet &c. and W[illia]m Law was appointed in his place. Austin Cowles and Wilson Law Councillors. R[obert] D. Foster and F[rancis] M. Higbee to the 12 Apostles &c. as report says. El[der] James Blakely preached up Joseph in the A.M. and [in the] P.M. joined the anties [anti-Mormons]. Cha[rle]s Ivins Bishop. [several lines left blank]

Several were baptized in the river east of Main St[reet]. {page 102}

Sunday, 28[th] [several lines left blank] Suddenly sick eve could not attend Prayer Meeting eve. Prayed for our enemies. Lawsuits &c. &c. [rest of page blank] {page 103}

Monday, April 29[th] 1844 At home. Received a visit from L. R. Foster of N[ew] York who gave me a gold pencil case sent me by /Br[other]/ Theodore Curtis now in N[ew] York and the first I wrote with it was "God bless the Man"

At 11 [A.M.] R[obert] D. Foster come up for trial. Joseph transferred the case to Alderman Walmart Marks. Foster objected to jurisdiction of court and informality. Court decided he had not foundation. Esqu[ire] Noble from Rock River assisted city attorney. Esq[uire] Patrick was present.

Lieut[enant] Williams filed affidavit (v.s.) Major Gen[eral] Wilson Law and he [Law] was suspended from office to await trial for ungentlemanly conduct &c. W[illia]m Law and Wilson Law were suspended for trial [before the Nauvoo Legion] about the same time. [several lines left blank]

Steamer Mermaid touched at Nauvoo House Landing 5 P.M. going down. {page 104}

[p.476] Tuesday, April 30[th] 1844 At home. Counselling the brethren about many things. Much company &c. [several lines left blank] Complaint was commenced (v.s.) W[illia]m and Wilson Law in the [court martial proceedings in the] Masonic Lodge &c. [several lines left blank]

The Osprey Steamer touched at N[auvoo] H[ouse] Landing eve. {page 105}

May 1[st] 1844, Wednesday /Heavy rain and wind last night/ At home. Much counsill[in]g with the brethren &c. this day. [several lines left blank] Rode out in P.M. [several lines left blank] Lyman Wight and George Miller arrived from Pine Country. {page 106}

Thursday, May 2d 1844 At home. Many called for Counsel. 10 A.M. Maid of Iowa started for Rock River after wheat for the Temple. Mr. Clayton and Col[onel] Markham went to attend court. Joseph vs. Wilson and Reynolds. [several lines left blank]

P.M. Went on to Prairie to see about selling land. While gone Lucian Woodworth returned from [T]exas. [rest of page blank] {page 107}

Friday, May 3d 1844 1 [P.M.] At home counselling the brethren &c. 2 P.M. In council. Lucien Woodworth gave a report of his [diplomatic] Mission [to the Council of Fifty]. Lyman Wight present. Adjourned. From 6 [P.M.] to 8 council. Adjourned till 10 next Monday.

Wrote a letter to Uncle John Smith to come to council. [rest of page blank] {page 108}

May 4th 1844, Saturday [several lines left blank] P.M. Rode out on the prairie to see some land and sell to [blank] [several lines left blank] 4 circular windows finished on the upper story of the Temple. [several lines left blank] Very plesant day. {page 109}

Sunday, May 5th 1844 At home. Instructed Dr. Richards, my clerk, to go to Quincy and pay Walsh 100 dollars due on my farm. Rain. Messenger did not go.

Elder Grant preached at the Mansion 2 P.M. A large co[mpany] in Bar Room. P.M. and eve. Joseph spoke a long time on petitions read F. Grierson's letter, Clay's letter, &c. [several lines left blank]

J[ohn] P. Green attended Conference at Quincy Saturday and to day. [several lines left blank] Rain continues. {page 110}

Monday, May 6th 1844 At home. 10 [A.M.] to 12 in [p.477] council [with the Council of Fifty]. 2 to 4 1/2 P.M. in council. Voted Almon W. Babbit go on a [diplomatic] mission to France. L[ucien] Woodworth on a [diplomatic] mission to Texas and Sidney Rigdon be candidate for the Vice Presidency of the U[nited] States.

Had a warrant served on me from Circuit Court on complaint of F[rancis] M. Higbee. Dam[ag]e[s] $5,000. Petition for writ of Habeus Corpus. Writ issued by clerk of Municipal Court.

6 eve in conversation with Jeremiah Smith and others in my office on Emma's correspondence with Gov[ernor] Carlin. [several lines left blank] Very pleasant. {page 111}

Tuesday, May 7[th] 1844 At home. Plesant Morning. Rode out on Prairie with 3 or 4 Gentlemen to sell them some land at 9 [A.M.]. 10 [A.M.] Municipal Court met. Adjourned till tomorrow 10 A.M. At one [o'clock] a severe storm of rain commenced with wind and I stopped at my farm over night. Storm abated about sun set.

An opposition printing press arrived at Dr. Foster's from Columbus, Ohio as reports says. Also that Esq[ui]r[e Daniel H.] Wells has issued a writ of ejectment on all those who bought land of Dr. Foster on Bench E[ast] of the Temple. Foster having given warrantee deeds but not having paid for the land. {page 112}

May 8th 1844, Wednesday Returned home. 10 A.M. went before Municipal Court on Habeus Corpus on complaint of Francis M. Higbee. See records [of the] court. Discharged on merits [of] case having proved Higbee's character &c. Court from 10 to 12 1/2 and from 2 to 5 P.M. Was released on merit case. See minut[e]s [of the] court.

Attended theatre [in the] eve[ning]. [rest of page blank] {page 113}

Thursday, May 9th At home. [several lines left blank] 9 A.M. A court Martial was held in my office on Mayor Gen[eral] Wilson Law. [several lines lef blank]

In the eve I attended the Theatre. Pythias and Damon and the idiot witness were acted. {page 114}

Friday, May 10[th] 1844 At home. Rode out after Breakfast. [several lines left blank] In the course of the day went on the prairie with some brethren to sell them some land. [several lines left blank]

9 A.M. a court martial was held at the Mayor office on [p.478] R[obert] D. Foster for ungentlemanly conduct &c. [rest of page blank] {page 115}

Saturday, May 11th 1844 At home. 10 A.M. attended City council till 11 1/2. No Quorum present. /(During this time had conversation with [Mr.] Lines on Theatre)/ Council adjourned.

1 P.M. To my office a while and at [blank] to 6 a prayer Meeting. Elder Rigdon and J[ohn] P. Green admitted [to quorum of the anointed]. J[ohn] P. Green complained of James Blakesly and F[rancis] M. Higbee for abusing Joseph and the Twelve [Apostles] at Quincy in court House. [rest of page blank] {page 116}

Sunday, May 12th 1844 At home. 10 A.M. Preached at the stand touching many things. Hyrum spoke also Lyman Wight. [several lines left blank]

/Joseph/ 3 P.M. Prayer Meeting at council room. W[illia]m Smith and Almon /W./ Babbit were present [and initiated into quorum of the annointed]. A full room prayed for deliverance from our enemies and exaltation to such officers as will enable the Servants of God to execute Righteousness in the Earth. [rest of page blank] {page 117}

Monday, May 13th 1844 /Rain this morning/ At home. At 9 A.M. called a meeting of the [Council of Fifty of the] Kingdom [of God]. 10 A.M. went to my office conversed with several of the brethren.

Sold Ellis M. Sanders 100 acres of land. Rec[eive]d 300 dollars cash and his note for $1,000 and $20 for Temple. Paid Sisson Chase $298.00 and took up note of Kimball, Taylor, and Young given for money they had borrowed for me and $10.00 to H[eber] C. Kimball.

2 P.M. Meeting of Lyceum [Council of Fifty]. Letter of O[rson] Hyde April 25[th] and one [of the] 26[th] read [from the] city [of] Washington. Clerk [was] instructed to answer and Lyman Wight and H[eber] C. Kimball to go and carry it. See minutes of the meeting. Adjourned at 5 [P.M.] and letter of W[illard] Richards Sec[retary of the Council] to O[rson] Hyde and O[rson] Pratt, May 13[th] 1844.

6 P.M. Steamer of "Maid of Iowa" returned from Rock River with 400 bu[shels] corn [and] 200 wheat for Temple and some for St. Louis.

[p.479] 8 eve Joseph went on the Maid of Iowa with Dr. Richards and returned in a few minutes. Pleasant weather. {page 118}

Tuesday, May 14th 1844 At home. Rode out early in the morning say /about/ 7 o'clock. "Maid of Iowa" started for St. Louis Capt[ain] Repshor, Bullock Clerk, about 9 nine A.M. [several lines left blank]

About noon it was reported that the Foster party were at Marr's store sealing letters to the Governors of all the states.

This P.M. my Old Lawyer [John Reid] gave a lecture on the stand stating the difficulties I had formerly encountered. I spoke after he had closed and continued my history to the present time.

4 P.M. Prayer Meeting, few present. Prayed for Bro[ther] Woodworth's daughter who was sick. Lyman Wight was present [and anointed]. [rest of page blank] {page 119}

Wednesday, May 15th 1844 At home. Much rain this A.M. A son of John Quincy Adams, Mr. Quincy and Dr. Goforth visited at the Mansion. [several lines left blank]

5 P.M. Went to my office and heard Bro[ther] Phelps read my rejoinder to Clay's letter for the first time.

7 [P.M.] Rode to the upper landing with Mr. Adams, Quincy and H[eber] [C.] Kimball. [rest of page blank] {page 120}

Thursday, May 16[th] Went to the office at 8 A.M. to hear my reply to H[enry] Clay and letter of W[illard] Richards clerk of council to O[rson] Hyde and O[rson] Pratt at 10 [A.M.]. Ordered Municipal court to convene. Spent the A.M. in reading &c.

1 P.M. in Municipal Court. Jeremiah Smith Sen come up on Habeus Corpus. He had been arrested by Jones and Mc[Cenie?] for procuring money at Washington under false pretences. T. B. Johnson and Chaunc[e]y L. Higbee his Lawyers asked for continuance from [lack of] Witnesses. Continued till next week Thursday.

Rain continues. About home. Read proof of report of my trial on Habeus Corpus on the 8th in the Neighbor. [rest of page blank] {page 121}

Friday, May 17[th] 1844 In convention of the state in my office called to promote my Election Gen[eral] Brown Chairman, Merryweather secretary. Minits [minutes] to be published in next paper. Rode out towards night About 6 [P.M.].

[p.480] Evening a caucus in my office. Dr. Goforth Chairman. Emma was sick and I could not attend. The people burned a barrel of Tar [in front of the Mansion], gave many toasts. Carried me on their shoulders twice round the fire and escorted me to my Mansion by a band of music.

Franklin D. Richards and Joseph A. Stratton were ordained High Priests and set apart on a mission to England by B[righam] Young, H[eber] C. Kimball, and W[illard] Richards of the Twelve [Apostles]. [rest of page blank] {page 122}

May 18[th] 1844, Saturday 9 A.M. With H[eber] C. Kimball to B[righam] Young's and af[ter]wards rode out to the regimental Taining and in the afternoon also on Jo Duncan about land &c. [several lines left blank]

5 P.M. 2 cannons were fired in front of my old home and regiment dismissed. [rest of page blank] {page 123}

Sunday, May 19[th] 1844 Cloudy morning. At home. Lyman Wight preached at the stand. Rain commenced about twelve. [several lines left blank] Bonney returned from the east. [several lines left blank]

Prayer Meeting at P.M. Was dispensed with. So muddy and rainy. About 12 men [and] 2 women attending. [several lines left blank]
S
Eve I talked a long time in the bar Room. Judge Phelps read my rejoinder to Clay. Esq[ui]r[e] Reid my old Lawyer present. [several lines left blank]

Fog[g]y and wet. "Maid of Iowa" has not arrived 10 o'clock. {page 124}

Monday, May 20[th] 1844 Emma continues sick. Am with her most of the time. 10 A.M. there was a public meeting on the Stand to obtain means for Lyman Wight to go to Washington. [several lines left blank]

Circuit Court. Bro[ther] Phelps and many brethren went. Phelps returned same day /or a summons was suffered to be issued for/ Joseph was summoned to appear on complaint of F[rancis] M. Higbee on same case. I was set free on habeus corpus on the 8 in[s]t[ant]. The Lawyers agreed to move an abatement. Judge Adams presiding. A good influence in favor of the Saints prevailed [and a change of venue to McDonough County was ordered]. [rest of page blank] {page 125}

[p.481] Tuesday, May 21[st] 1844 At home. Very pleasant morning. Rode out with O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell on horseback.

7 A.M. B[righam] Young, H[eber] C. Kimball, Lyman Wight, and about 100 Elders went on the Osprey for St. Louis. Maid of Iowa arrived.

At home towards night with Emma who is some better. Shovelled dirt on the ditch while Wasson stood on the corner of the fence to watch. A man came to find me having a summons and attachment to take me to Carthage. Could not find me. "Maid of Iowa" went up about 3 P.M. Rode out in the evening with W[illia]m Clayton to see Yearsly['s] little child who is sick. {page 126}

Wednesday, [May] 22[nd] 1844 At home. The officer after me from Carthage watching. At 10 [A.M.] about 40 Indians come up in front of the Mansion. 4 or 5 mounted among whom was Blackhooks['s] brother, Kiskishkee &c. I was obliged to send them word I could not see them at present and they encamped in the Council Chamber. P.M. to night with the police on duty some individuals lurking around. Loveland and others. [several lines left blank] Very pleasant day. [rest of page blank] {page 127}

Thursday, [May] 23d 1844 With my family reading Hebrew with [Alexander] Neibaur and counselling with various friends. Emma some better. /10 A.M. Municipal Court. N[ewel] K. Whitney adjourned 1 week./

1 P.M. Held council with the Indians Sac and Fox &c. in my back kitchen. They told me (Joseph) "You are a big chief. We are sons of /2 as/ big men /and Priests/ as ever inhabited this land. You preach a great deal so say great Spirit, you be as great and good as our fathers that will do. Our worship is different, but we are good as any other men. Before our nation were acquainted with white men, they were as great men as ever lived on the river, now live on Desmoines. 20 y[ea]rs ago [there was] 6,000 of us, now [we are a] small nation. 3 towns 2 [-] not over yesterday. They talk with big spirit. We have had possession of this land. Neohope is one of our principle men. We wish friendship with all men. Our chiefs done wrong in selling our country.

"Black Hawk's bro[ther] Maquisto Fox Nation worshipped on this piece of ground. When our Fathers first came here this was inhabited by Spanish. When driven off French came and then the English and Americans talk a great deal with the G[r]eat [p.482] spirit. We different colour, no difference. We all good men. Another said we have seen a great deal of pleasure on this piece of land. Our fathers worshipped on this piece of land. English were very friendly. Had good. We drove off a nation who was on their river. This is the best country our fathers had seen. Fathers of the 2 old men were preachers. Wanted Joseph to be as {page 128} good as they were. 2 Nations are brothers. Wanted Joseph to talk right to be our big chief white men wear hats. Indians naked [-]. English, French, Indian all brethren. Don't expect to live long. Don't care for any thing only for something to eat &c. Friendly visit. 2 days. Sac chief sold their land again and would go to M[iss]o[uri] in 2 years. We are very poor. Whites cheat us. But no difference not long to live. We wanted to let you know we were a Christian people."

I replied "We know you have been wronged, but we bought this land and paid our money for it. Advise you not to sell any more land. Cultivate peace with all men with the different tribes. Great spirit wants you to be united and live in peace. Found a book (presenting the Book of Mormon) which told me about your fathers and Great spirit told me. You must send to all the tribes you can and tell them to live in peace and when any of our people come to see you treat them as we treat you."

3 P.M. Indians commenced a war dance in front of my old house. Our people commencing with music and firing cannon. After the dance which lasted about 2 hours firing of cannon closed the exercise. With our music marched back to office. Before they commenced dancing the Saints collected $9.45 cents for to get them food. {page 129} Soon after the dance commenced, [someone] come to my clerk Dr. Richards and told him an officer was on the way with an attachment for him. He had come from Carthage 12.30 mi[les] to bring the news. Dr. R[ichards] come to my house and staid all night. Aaron Johnson come from Carthage and said Foster had been swearing that I swore to the affidavit on which Simpson was arrested &c. I instructed Johnson and Rockwell to go to Carthage in the morning and have him indicted for perjury as I never did swear to the complaint. His officer was after John D. Parker also and /Report says B[righam] Young and W[illia]m C. Kimball/. Past nine eve I walked a little way with Dr. Richards for exercise. [several lines left blank]

Several police out during the night. Hyrum was in this [p.483] evening and cautioned me about speaking so freely about my enemies and in such a manner they could make it actionable. I told him 6 months would not roll over his head before they would swear 12 as palpable lies about him as they had about me. [rest of page blank] {page 130}

Friday, May 24[th] 1844 With my family. Aaron Johnson, and O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell went to Carthage to get R[obert] D. Foster indicted but they returned as the grand jury had risen [to consider charges of adultery and perjury]. Joseph Jackson was there and swore vs. me.

Tarried with my family till 6 [P.M.]. Eve went into Dr. Bernhisels room. Had council with Bro[thers] Phelps and Richards. Ordered City council called tomorrow and protective ordinance passed on habeus Corpus. [several lines left blank]

Returned to my family. In about 1 hour central committee [of Council of Fifty] wrote to Hugh Clark Alderman, corner of 4th and Martin Streets, Phil[adelphia], P[ennslyvani]a on election. [several lines left blank]

Rain this eve. It has been very pleasant for some days. {page 131}

Saturday, May 25[th] 1844 At home. Keeping out of the way of expected arrests from Carthage. Towards night the grand jury [members] Hunter [and] Marks returned from Carthage also Marshal Green and A[lmon] M. Babbit. [They] informed me [there] were 2 indictments found against me. One for false swearing by R[obert] D. Foster and Joseph Jackson and one for polygamy or something else by the Laws, the particulars of which I shall learn more hereafter. Much hard swearing before Grand Jury. Francis M. Higby swore so hard that I [understand he] had to [be] removed[, he says that I steal] states property &c. His testimony was rejected.

2 P.[M.] Joseph Jackson come in town/as I heard/. I instructed the officers to have him arrested for threatening life &c. Had a long talk with Hunter Marks, Babbit, Hyrum, Bonney, Dr. Richards, Roundy &c. and concluded not to keep out of their way any longer.

2 P.M. Council [of Fifty met] in my north Room. Letter from Hyde. Ordered an answer. Also made arrangements to have me [succeed Rigdon as postmaster to] have [control of] post [p.484] office. Adjourned /to Friday next/week 2 o'clock. W[illard] Richards writes to Hyde for Council [of Fifty]. {page 132}

Sunday, May 26th 1844 10 A.M. Preached at the stand about /Joseph/ Jackson and the mobocrats. Rode out in the P.M. Esq[ui]r[e] Richardson called on me with Babbit my Lawyers. A man came to me and said Eagle with others were intending to take Jeremiah Smith away in the night. I stationed the police to protect him. [rest of page blank] {page 133}

Monday, May 27th 1844 About 8 o'clock I started on horse back with a few friends and passing by the Temple pursued my course to/wards/ Carthage thinking it best to meet my enemies before the Court and have my Indictments investigated. After I had passed my farm on the prairie /most of/ the following brothers joined me and the remainder soon after my arrival at Carthage: Aaron Johnson, Dr. Bernhisel, Joseph Coolidge, John Hetfield, O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell, Lorenzo Rockwell, W[illia]m Walker, Harrison Sagers, Hyrum Smith, J[ohn] P. Green, John Green, Judge Richards, [Edward] Bonny, [Joseph B.] Nobles, Shadrach Roundy, Theodore Turley, Jedediah Grant, John Lytle, [Lucien] Woodworth, C[ornelius]. P. Lot, J[onathan]. Dunham and 2 or 3 more.

Arrived at "A. Hamilton's Carthage Hotel" about noon. Charles A. Foster come up with us 3 or 4 miles from the city and accompanied us to Carthage. Had considerable conversation {page 134} and he appeared more mild than he had done [been] and as though he was almost persuaded he had been influenced by false reports to some extent.

Joseph Jackson, F[rancis] M. Higbee, and C[hauncey] L. Higbee were in A. Hamilton['s] Hotel when we arrived. Soon after our arrival Cha[rle]s A. Foster took me in a private room /as a friend/ and told me there was a conspiracy against my life. R[obert] D. Foster told some of the brethren there was evil determined against me (and that with tears in his eyes) and that there were those who were determined I should not go out of the village alive &c. Jackson was seen loading his pistol and swore he would have satisfaction of me and Hiram. I had [a] short interview with Judge Thomas who treated me with the utmost courtesy. He is a great man and a gentleman. After dinner (at the 2d or 3d table) we retired to our room and [as] Jackson who had been to the court house come towards the Hotel, some one told him Hyrum [p.485] had arrived. When he turned immediately towards the Court House again. My Lawyers Messers Richardson, Babbit, and Skinner used all reasonable exertion to bring /forward/ my trial for Perjury but the prosecution party was not ready for trial. (One Withers a material witness was absent as they said) My attorney called frequently to report the state of the court {page 135} and I was ready to join but the case was defer[r]ed till next term and I was left to give bail to the Sherif[f] at his option and he told me I might go home and he would call and take bail some time.

We immediately called for our horses and while they were harnessing C[hauncey] L. Higbee come to me and wanted I should stay as a witness in a certain case where he was employed and urged me considerably but I told him I did not recollect the occurance particularly enough to testify on the case and got him to excuse me. 4 1/2 [P.M.] We started and when we had got to Bro[ther] Grant's the rain commenced and I went into the house while most of the brethren went into the barn. While the shower abated as we left the tavern and passed the court House there were many people about in groups and Jackson stood on the green with one or 2 men some distance off. After the storm had subsided, we went forward and I and Hyrum and some others arrived at home about 9 o'clock and my carriage and J. B. Nobles a little while after. My carriage was {page 136} upset on the Temple Hill but no one hurt. I rode on horseback all the way ([on] Joe Dunkin). Found Emma sick on my return.

While at Hamilton's C[hauncey] L. Higbee offered some insulting language concerning me to O[rrin] P[orter] Rockwell who resented it nobly as a friend ought to do. When Hamilton seeing it [he] turned Rockwell out of doors.

R[obert] D. Foster, Cha[rle]s A. Foster, Rolloson and Higbee were on the hill when I passed[, in the morning, and] as it was afterwards reported by Flack [they] gathered their pistols and horses and were in Carthage before me except Charles Foster.

Samuel Smith of Montebello heard at five in the morning that I had been taken prisoner to Carthage by mob [and] immediately gathered a co[mpany] of 25 men and arrived at Carthage about the time I did for the purpose of assisting me. [rest of page blank] {page 137}

[p.486] Tuesday, May 28th 1844 At home. [several lines left blank] Rain in the P.M. {page 138}

Wednesday, May 29[th] 1844 At home. Dr. Luther W. Hi[Celestial Kingdom]ock of Burlington, come in and arrested Jeremiah Smith on a warrant from Nathaniel Pope, Judge U.S. Circuit Court. During our conversation in the afternoon we learned to our Mutual joy that we were of one origin in our grandfathers, father Anthony Smith of Glasgow, Scotland. [several lines left blank] Rain A.M. {page 139}

Thursday, May 30th 1844 10 A.M. Municipal Court Jeremiah Smith Sen[ior] on Habeus Corpus discharged and Do. Another petition same case on arrest of Luther W. Hicko[c]k Burlington. Adjourned court 1 [P.M.] to 3. 3 to 4 1/2 in court. Jeremiah Smith discharged.

Evening [U.S. marshall] F. B. Johnson as was reported was going to Burlington. Jeremiah Smith swore out execution [paid] $77.75. Johnson come forward and acknowledged fee bill.

Hicko[c]k called for copy of proceedings. Johnson threatened to bring the draggons [dragoons] &c. to get [Jeremiah] Smith. [several lines left blank] Pleasant. {page 140}

Friday, May 31[st] 1844 9 A.M. Ordered a capias to arrest T[homas] B. Johnson for threatening the peace of the city with Draggon [dragoon] &c. H. Hugins made affidavit but Johnson had gone.

10 A.M. Called at my office and wrote. 1 P.M. was called to see Sister Richards who was very sick. Laid on hands. Directed some Raspberry tea and she was better. [several lines left blank [met with Council of Fifty]] 2 or 3 Indians stay in hall over night. [several lines left blank] Pleasant. {page 141} (Scott H. Faulring, An American Prophet's Record, p. 472-486)
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

The following is a list of the names of the members of this council with their Ages and station in the Council according to age, as they stood at the adjournment in May 1844—

1 President Joseph Smith was the Standing Chairman born Decr. 25th. 1805
2 Samuel Bent Born July 19th. 1778
3 John Smith " July 16th. 1781
4 Alpheas [Alpheus] Cutler " February 29th. 1784
5 Uriah Brown " May 9th. 1784
6 Reynolds Cahoon " April 30th. 1790
7 Ezra Thayer " October 14th. 1791
8 Walmart. W. Phelps " February 17th. 1792
9 Amos Fielding "
10 Walmart. Marks " November 15th. 1792
[p. [286]]
11 Sidney Rigdon born February 19th. 1793
12 John P. Green[e] " September 3rd. 1793
13 George Miller " November 25th. 1794
14 Newel K. Whitney " February 5th. 1795
15 Peter Haws " February 17th. 1796
16 Lyman Wight " May 9th. 1796
17 Joseph Fielding " March 26th. 1797
18 Cornelius P. Lott " September 27th. 1798
19 Lucian [Lucien] Woodworth " April 3rd. 1799
20 Levi Richards " April 14th. 1799
21 John M. Bernhisel " June 23rd. 1799
22 John D. Parker " November 22nd. 1799
23 Hyrum Smith " February 9th. 1800
24 Brigham Young " June 1st. 1801
25 Heber C. Kimball " June 14th. 1801
26 Orson Spencer " March 14th. 1802
27 James Emmett " February 22nd. 1803
28 Philip B. Lewis " January 16th. 1804
[p. [287]]
29 Elias Smith born September 6th. 1804
30 Orson Hyde " January 8th. 1805
31 Samuel James "
32 Wilford Woodruff " March 1st. 1807
33 Parley P. Pratt " April 12th. 1807
34 Edward Bonney " August 26th. 1807
35 David D. Yearsley " March 3rd. 1808
36 David S. Hollister " June 4th. 1808
37 John Taylor " November 1st. 1808
38 Alexander Badlam " November 28. 1808
39 Charles C. Rich " August 21st. 1809
40 George J. Adams " November 7th. 1810
41 Walmart. Smith " March 13th. 1811
42 Orson Pratt " September 19th. 1811
43 Merinus G. Eaton " March 22nd. 1812
44 Alman W. Babbit [Almon W. Babbitt] " October 20th. 1812
45 Amasa Lyman " March 30th. 1813
[p. [288]]
46 Joseph W. Coolidge born May 31st. 1814
47 Orrin P. Rockwell " June 16th. 1814
48 Jedidiah [Jedediah] M. Grant — " — February 21st. 1816
49 George A. Smith — " — June 26th. 1817
50 Erastus Snow " — November 9th. 1818
51 Lorenzo D. Wasson " March 31st. 1819
52 Benjamin F. Johnson — " — July 28th. 1818
53 Walmart. Clayton, Clerk " July 17th. 1814
54 Willard Richards Recorder — " — June 24th.— 1804

List

[May 31, 1844 was the last entry in the Council of Fifty Minutes during Joseph Smith's lifetime. After he and his brother were murdered, Clayton wrote this into the record:]

CLAYTON ENTRY - SOMETIME BETWEEN JUNE 27, 1844 - FEBRUARY 1845

About the time the council met the last times, there arose considerable excitement amongst the mobocrats against Prest. Joseph Smith and others. The excitement was got up by Walmart. & Wilson Law, Robert D. Foster, Francis M. & Chancy S. [Chauncey L.] Higbee, Joseph H. Jackson & others. They yeilded to the influence of wickedness because Prest. [p. [289]] Joseph rebuked them sharply for their unrighteous acts. Walmart. Law and his brother Wilson were especially active in fanning the flame of prejudice and excitement, because Prest. Joseph would not seal Walmart. Law to his wife for eternity in consequence of his being an adulterer.

This party got a press through the aid of some others, Charles Ivins being one of their assistants, and commenced publishing a tirade of foul slander and falsehoods, chiefly on what has been termed the “spiritual wife doctrine”.

They tried to criminate brother Joseph as being guilty of adultery and published some affidavits of some who they had induced to testify on various subjects, themselves being disafected. In the mean time these apostates went to Carthage and swore out charges against Prest. Joseph and others and at the sitting [p. [290]] of the County Court succeeded in getting him indicted before the Grand Jury for adultery. They swore what they knew to be false in order to be revenged because he would not connive at their corruptions and as they afterwards acknowledged at Carthage “they knew that powder and ball the law could not touch him but powder and ball would.” [underline in original]

There was also some excitement raised in consequence of Jeremiah Smith secreting himself in the City. He was charged with embezzleing public money at Washington. Prest. Joseph advised him to surrender himself to the law, but the apostates reported that he screened [Jeremiah] Smith from justice.

These with other matters of minor importance served to arouse the publick feeling and the apostates continually fanning [p. [291]] the flame spread the excitement far and near. On the 10th. June the City Council passed a resolution declaring the press from when[ce] issued the Nauvoo Expositor a nuisance and ordered the same abated. The Mayor (Prest. Joseph) was ordered to destroy the press and pye the type forthwith. He gave orders to the Marshall, who, assisted by the police, obeyed the order that same evening by breaking the press & pying the type in the streats. This was a very favorable opportunity for the apostates & mobocrats to spread the excitement far and near, and they threatened very hard. R. D Foster 〈& F. M. Higbee〉 said the Temple should be thrown down and not one stone left upon another, Josephs house burned and the printing Office torn down

On Wednesday the 12th. David Bettisworth [p. [292]] a constable from Carthage came with a writ for Joseph, Hyrum Smith, W[illiam] W. Phelps, John Taylor, Samuel Bennet[t], John P. Green[e], Stephen Perry, Dimick B. Huntington, Jonathan Dunham, Stephen Markham, Walmart. W. Edwards, Jonathon [Jonathan] H. Holmes, Jesse P. Harmon, John Lytle, Joseph W. Coolidge, David H. Redfield, Orrin P. Rockwel [Orrin Porter Rockwell] and Levi Richards. The writ was sworn out by Francis M Higbee for a riot in destroying the press &c. After the officer read the writ Joseph said he was ready to go to trial before Aaron Johnson a County Justice but Bettisworth refused saying he should take him to Carthage although the statute gave the privilege of trial before the nearest justice having jurisdiction. Prest. J. then called upon all present to witness that he was ready to go to trial before the nearest [p. [293]] justice. Hyrum said the same. But Bettisworth persisting that he should go to Carthage he [Joseph Smith] sued out a writ of Habeas Corpus before the Municipal Court, who immediately convened and went to trial. He was dis-charged on testimony.

Bettisworth returned and stated that Joseph had resisted the law &c. which still further excited the mob and they went to organizing and threatening the brethren in the branches around and ordered to leave their homes. In the mean time they sent a delegation to the Governor to excite him against us and bring out the Militia &c. In order to guard the brethren from the fury of the mob the Legion was called out to protect the City and continued prepared for emergency night and day.

On friday the 21st. two messengers arrived bringing a letter from the [p. [294]] Governor who had arrived at Carthage An answers was immediately prepared and sent by John Taylor, Dr [John M.] Bernhisel and Edward Bonn[e]y. The day following the Governor sent other messengers bearing a letter in which he stated that they must give themselves up to go to Carthage & if they do not he shall consider it a resistance to the laws and will call out the Millitia of the State by force of arms.

The officers who brought the letter (thirty in number) told Joseph they should wait till tomorrow morning and if they were not then ready they should wait no longer but return & tell the governor they were resisted &c

About 1 o clock in the night Joseph, Hyrum & Dr [Willard] Richards went over the river, judging it better to be out of the way, rather than [p. [295]] resist the officers & Militia or go to Carthage where he knew he would be murdered. He sent for the Clerk of this council at the same hour and ordered me either to burn the records of the kingdom, or put them in some safe hands and send them away or else bury them up. I returned home and immediately put the records in a small box and buried them in my garden.

On sunday the 23rd. Emma & some others sent messengers over the river to urge the brethren to come & give themselves up. Joseph was very much opposed to it but finally being urged by the brethren he consented. About 5 o clock he came home intending to give themselves up to the laws. The following day the those whose names were included in the writ started for Carthage, but when [p. [296]] about 4 miles from Carthage they met General [James E.] Dunn with a company of Millitia who presented an order from the Governor demanding all the State arms in our possession. The company returned to gather them up which was done the same day and about 6 o clock P.M they again departed for Carthage where they arrived about 12 at night. Great excitement was manifest and the Governor was unable to keep some of the Millitia in subjection.

The brethren were subjected to insults or abuse and but little efforts made to screen them. They were thrust in jail contrary to law. On the 27th. the Governor dismissed all his troops except one company for his guard and in the afternoon he left the brethren in Jail guarded only by the [p. [297]] Carthage Greys their most voilent enemies

At about 5 P.M the Governor & his company arrived at the mansion. He made a speech He referred to the destruction of the press which he said was an “high handed outrage and must be atoned for”. He referred to those apostates who had gone out of the City and said if any of them were injured we should be held responsible &c. His speech was any thing but favorable and served to satisfy the brethren that we need look for no mercy at their hands. About the same time the Governor arrived in Nauvoo, a company of men variously estimated at from one to two hundred, with painted faces issued from the woods North West from Carthage all armed and rushed to the Jail immediately surrounding it [p. [298]]

The brethren were in the front room not apprehensive of danger until suddenly alarmed by the report of several muskets below. In a moment the mob rushed up the stairs and commenced firing through the door at the brethren. A ball struck Hyrum in the throat and he fell backwards exclaiming, “brother Joseph I am a dead man”. Joseph defended himself with a six shooter pistol until his loading was out and then sprang for the window, a shower of balls flying in every direction. Brother Taylor received four balls in his body and fell near the window and rolled under a bed which stood in the room. Joseph opened the window and sprang through. He fell heavily on his side which evidently [p. [299]] hurt him considerably. The mob fiercly rushed at him with their bayonets like so many fiends of hell. They raised him up and set him with his back to the well curb and began to tantalize him. Four of the mob then drew their rifles and shot him through and he expired instantly. The four who shot him were struck dumb and motionless, the rest fled but seeing these four that they could not move they returned and carried them away The mob then fled the same way they came. Dr Richards who was in the room at the time the brethren were killed, as soon as the mob was fled took brother Taylor and carried him into a back room to secure him expecting another attack. Joseph was brought [p. [300]] inside, but he and Hyrum were perfectly dead. Thus ended the lives of two of 〈the〉 members of this council, by the hands of assassins while under the most solemn pledges from the Governor for their safety.

[I will provide the Journal entries from Joseph Smith, Wilford Woodruff & William Clayton for the interim (Between June 1 1844 & 4 February 1845) when the Council of Fifty Minutes resume under the leadership of Brigham Young below. ~grindael]
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

grindael wrote:These minutes are now online...

http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/?utm_s ... 8-73895117

It's great that the church is releasing these documents. If Congress had granted Joseph Smith's request, I wonder how quickly Joseph Smith and his 100,000 strong army would have gathered the native americans and tried to fulfill prophecy by acting as a lion and tearing up those wicked gentiles? We will never know as Congress refused the magnanimous request from fearless leader. Maybe Congress sometimes does the right thing occasionally?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Thanks for the update grindael.

Clayton tried real hard to make Joseph Smith look good and the Laws look bad. Obviously from the records we now have we know he flat out lied and was trying to mislead anyone who might read the minutes. Classic Mormonism 101.

It was still a fascinating read to see a different perspective than the white washed one we get in church history manuals...or maybe how we got the whitewash version in the first place. Very interesting.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson