Tithing, Is it Mandatory?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Tithing, Is it Mandatory?

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Ray A wrote:He wouldn't be the first, that I can assure you.

WHAT???

You can't actually be serious that other people have thought of it, too? You were a bishop once, so you're in the perfect position to know: Did you ever encounter this? If so, did you encounter any other creative ways of claiming to be a full tithepayer, and if so, what were they?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Ray A wrote:He wouldn't be the first, that I can assure you.

WHAT???

You can't actually be serious that other people have thought of it, too? You were a bishop once, so you're in the perfect position to know: Did you ever encounter this? If so, did you encounter any other creative ways of claiming to be a full tithepayer, and if so, what were they?

Shades, there's no way a bishop can know how much a member has earned, except in cases such as outlined by MM. Most bishops aren't going to be doing estimates either. We discussed this at some length on your old MDB, so I won't go into much more detail. Let me say that I have encountered some people whose declarations were very suspicious. I am sure many had investments, shares, and other sources of income also which went undeclared. I also knew a member who did casual jobs for cash in hand, apart from his real job, and he didn't declare that to the taxation office. He told me so (I wasn't a bishop then). I very much doubt he paid tithing on that. Remember, tithing is income, no matter where the source. In that regard I suspect most members do not pay a full tithe. Perhaps I exaggerate a bit with your analogy above, but from my experience most members only paid tithes on work income. Then there were the unemployed or those receiving income from the government, for example for family allowance, pensions, disability payments, etc. , and a bishop can't keep track of all this either. There are mothers who receive income for children, like $150 a month, say, do you think most of them are going to take out $15 of money going to their children?

And as I said before, every bishop is different. I was not one to be interrogating people. I simply asked them the question, and recorded the answer. If they wanted to risk their celestial ass, as far as I was concerned that's their business.

Here is what the CHI says:

All members should attend tithing settlement to make sure their contribution records are correct and to declare to the bishop their status as tithe payers. AR members of a family should attend tithing settlement. In addition to reviewing the members' tithing records, during tithing settlement the bishop can discuss the principle of tithing with them, encourage them to give a generous fast offering, and discuss other relevant matters.

And:

The Church normally discourages paying tithing in kind. It is preferable for members to dispose of the property themselves and then pay tithing in cash. However, the payment of tithing in kind may be accepted in certain cases and may be a common practice in some areas of the world.

That is all they have to do, they don't have to prove anything. And do you think any bishop can keep track of members' sales or investment profits throughout the year? He'd need a few STC members tracking everyone.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:My question is:

Is tithing mandatory? Or is it just a charitable option?

Bond

It's only mandatory in order to get a temple recommend; it is expressly not a reason to impose Church discipline.

Candidates for baptism are also asked to commit to tithe. Question is something like this.

You have been taught that members of the Church are commanded to tithe. What is your understanding of the law of tithing? Are you willing to live this law?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Then there were the unemployed or those receiving income from the government, for example for family allowance, pensions, disability payments, etc. , and a bishop can't keep track of all this either.

Some government workers can't understand why the Church would ask for money from those drawing bare subsistence, but I remember an article from the Ensign saying even the destitute should give their tithings to the Church. The Church in turn grants them the Widow's Mite blessing. Right?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Ray A wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:
When I was in the military I had a bishop who explicitly told me that since the military pay scales were public he knew whether each member was paying a full tithe and held them to it.

I would have told him to mind his own business and let me make the declaration.

Good point.

There was a guy who claimed to be a full tithepayer, even though he never paid tithing. He claimed that he'd made a deal with God to just keep the 10% up front and send him the remaining 90%.

Now that is rather funny.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Ray A wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:
When I was in the military I had a bishop who explicitly told me that since the military pay scales were public he knew whether each member was paying a full tithe and held them to it.

I would have told him to mind his own business and let me make the declaration.

Good point.

There was a guy who claimed to be a full tithepayer, even though he never paid tithing. He claimed that he'd made a deal with God to just keep the 10% up front and send him the remaining 90%.

Now this is a funny one....

My Aunt's bishop expected to see proof that she was paying her 10%...
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

If you really want to get technical about it, tithing is supposed to be on your surplus or excess after taking care of yourself and your family first.

Of course, the Church wouldn't get nearly as much money that way, especially in today's economic ruins. . . so it was changed to imply that it is based on everything.

Even the canon (specifically D&C) says that tithing is on surplus.

I always paid on everything, often as much as 50-75% because I needed the blessings that were promised. Instead, I found myself broke and in need of assistance that never came.