My dillema - Raising my daughter correctly

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:Ray: Any four year old who can read Mein Kampf would have to be a Mozart-like genius

Jersey Girl: Reading and comprehension are two different skills, Ray. I've known three year olds who exhibited "spontaneous reading" without understanding what they read. Reading in that way involves decoding the words/sounds/etc...comprehension is something else altogether. Just sharing... A four year old who could discern the concepts...yup, Mensa. [/quote]
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Vegas

Post by _Who Knows »

Gazelam wrote:Just do this, and don't worry about anything else.

Each night make it your responsibility to tuck your daughter in. Each night help her say her prayers. Teach her to pray. While doing this, follow the spirits direction as he influences you regarding your family.

Gaz

Say her prayers to who? The god of the old testament? Allah? The flying spaghetti monster?

Or does it not matter?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Vegas

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:Just do this, and don't worry about anything else.

Each night make it your responsibility to tuck your daughter in. Each night help her say her prayers. Teach her to pray. While doing this, follow the spirits direction as he influences you regarding your family.

Gaz

No, I will not teach her to pray. What I will do is read to her what matters in life such as Sagan, Neal stephenson, Heinlein and any other rationaly minded literature I agree with. Also I will tuck her in and warn her occasionally about people such as yourself that try and convince us that we can learn truth from emotion and pseudohistorical tripe.

Furthermore I will council her to do what is ethically right and not to believe geriatric buffoons crapping in their depends while half asleep on the stand at general conference. I will instill in her a sense of curiosity concerning the unknown with hard core skepticism as its foundational tenets.

that's what im going to do. Take your peasantry elsewhere, pleb.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning