This Black Woman's LDS Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Runtu wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:
Compliment? that's a slurr...like a voice of someone whos been drinking.

Loran:

Coming form someone with all the charm, personality, and intellectual depth of a Fiddler Crab, that's quite a statement.

Loran

I don't understand why it always has to get personal. Yes, some people are a little more caustic than others, but it doesn't help to derail the conversation from the actual subjects and focus instead on personalities.

As far as Juliann goes, I like her enough, but I find her use of postmodernism highly ironic.

Runtu, that's typical TBM style. When fighting a losing battle, attack a person's character. They did it all the time on FAIR, which is why that place got such a bad reputation.

Mormons already feel they're better than everyone else, so it's ok to tell someone they're posessed by the Devil, or just plain crazy when they don't agree with you. I find it amusing these days.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Coggins7 wrote:Loran:

All this demonstrates is that, so far, you appear to be a sanctimonious, self righteous, whining liberal who claims to have had such and such terrible life experiences, but then dishes out a church exit story that bears all the standard marks of either having been written by a committee or derived from a standard script, and which contains material that clearly could not be true of most Mormons or the Church and are clearly your own creations. If, in any way, I minimize those claims, that is the reason. Your story would be fine if it were not for the standard exmo formatting of the narrative.

So your only beef with story is its so-called "formulaic" elements? Do you apply this same standard to the "formula" of F&T meetings? Or Gospel Doctrine classes? Seminary? Let's face facts here: the Church has never been very welcoming to Black folks. To this day, Church leaders have failed to refute the doctrinally and scripturally-based ban on interracial marriage. The Brethren have avoided the topic like the plague, in fact.

And I know why you don't like Julianne: you can't possibly refute or her arguments or tunn the tables on her in an open debate. She's far too knowlegable and far to shrewed an observer of the exmormon cultural and intellectual culture to let you do that.

Some thoughts: A) Why do you think she's "knowlegable" or "shrewed"? B) Something's obviously amiss, since you don't even know how to correctly spell her name; C) juliann herself has deliberately squirreled herself away on the fittingly named MAD board in order to prevent "open debate." She is the one who bailed out of ZLMB because she couldn't deal with the critics. Remember?

Now, from a psychological standpoint, you very well may be "crazy" in the sense of being trapped within a personal tradition of poor, self destructive, self sabotaging thinking strategies and patterns, and carrying psychological and emotional baggage that creates perceptual distortions that make some normal developmental taskd of life quite difficult. All of us are a little crazy in that sense. I understand that perfectly. What bothers me are the other elements of your story that are clearly contrived.
Loran

You're a racist, Loran.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Mr. Scratch

You are correct/ I do think Loran likes to talk to himself and sees what comes out of his posts..
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Hey Scratch,

Juliann was nice to me, very nice in fact, until I told her that her pet website, blacklds.org didn't erase all that I'd been through. Then she got nasty. That website nauseates me. It's just one great big testimony erected to cover the issue the church knows is there.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi