My Book of Abraham Question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

My Book of Abraham Question

Post by _Blixa »

I've never seen this addressed before, but my knowledge of the ins and outs of the Book of Abraham is not very complete, so it may very well have been.

Anyway, here it is:

This is the well known facsimile:

But this is the papyrus with whoever's fill-in-the-blank:

It looks to me like someone has drawn in a different figure: a full front head rather than a profile and a raised arm, thusly:

Am I wrong? Why the discrepancy?

(sorry about the image size, but I wanted it to be seen clearly)
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Yep....the drawing does so the whole face rather than just a profile.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

The facsimiles included in the scriptures are just the rendering of the papyri by Reuben Hedlock.

They went through various revisions, with the help of joseph smith.

There is another big difference between the 2 - notice where the guy is standing. In the original, he is in front of the table, but behind the other dudes legs. In hedlock's, he is behind the table.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Yeah I noticed that too. Still the front face vs. profile is quite a difference. Is there some verification of who drew on the papyrus?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Blixa wrote:Is there some verification of who drew on the papyrus?

No.

We can see the papyri as it is. We can also see the facsimile as it appears in the scriptures. We know that Joseph Smith and Hedlock were responsible for the representation of the facsimile as it appears in the scriptures.

My opinion is that they went through a number of versions before deciding on the final. What you see as drawn into the actual papyri, is probably just one of those versions.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks for the information Who Knows. I've always wondered ever since I first saw a photo of the papyrus with that cartoony face drawn in for the "priest."