It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Resurrected Beings
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:32 pm 
Hermit

In what way are resurrected Beings immortal? For instance, if you were to drop a 200 ton locomotive on top God, what would happen?

Some possibilities:

God is so sturdy that the engine would break apart around him or bounce off.

The engine would pass through him because his body doesn't interact with electrical charges.

The engine would pass through because he can turn off its interactions with matter at will.

The engine would crush him but all the molecules would recombine.

The engine would crush him but he can grab a new body from the wardrobe.

This engine in principle could kill him, but his foresight would prevent him from getting caught up in the situation.

Believers, how do you see this going down?

Post subject: Re: Question about Resurrected Beings
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

I'm genuinely interested to see the replies, but my instincts (and my academic training) tell me that they'll simply say, "We don't know."

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 pm 
God

Hey Gad,

As a believer, I would say "we don't know" (That was for Scratch...LOL) :)

Seriously, I am having a hard time understanding your questions so I would simply suggest that all locomotives are heavily seasoned in sin.

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:06 pm 
Hermit

Hi Ceeboo,

Thanks for the response, but I have to wonder why you don't understand my questions?

This one is pretty simple. God has a body that looks like ours (per Mormons) and he can interact in our world. So what would happen if you dropped a train on him?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 pm 
God

Ceeboo, I have a question. What does resurrection mean to you?
Of course, LDS believe that God has a resurrected/perfect human body. LDS believe that all humans will be resurrected and have a perfect human body for eternity. Just curious what you believe. Not to derail the thread, but there is obviously going to be a different perspective from non-LDS believers.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:10 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Once upon a time, Church leaders had no problem confronting these kinds of thought-experiments with great vigor and openness. The one that springs most readily to mind is BY's reflections on the manner and method by which Heavenly Father impregnated Mary. Given that apologists have double-crossed BY and have insisted, instead, that the method was more akin to artificial insemination (which unfortunately suggests that HF masturbated), I see no reason why the TBMs (ahem---Pahoran? jskains?) should hold back on answering this question.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 pm 
God

Hey again Gad,
Gadianton wrote:
Hi Ceeboo,

Thanks for the response, but I have to wonder why you don't understand my questions?

This one is pretty simple. God has a body that looks like ours (per Mormons) and he can interact in our world. So what would happen if you dropped a train on him?

Perhaps I didn't understand (perhaps I did?) that you were asking Mormon believers when you asked "believers" in the OP. (Am I still confused?)

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:21 pm 
Hermit

A fair point, Scratch, and one that throws out possibility 2.

(and yes, Ceeboo, I meant LDS believers)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:23 pm 
\m/ \m/

Dean Gadianton,

There is another interesting possibility that might inform us about resurrected beings, but not locomotives.

Suppose elohim has a very powerful stealth or time-travel ability. Suppose for a moment that elohim and jehovah, as resurrected beings, were both in the sacred grove, but when JSJr emerged from the grove he did not realize there were two beings. For years, JSJr thought there was only jehovah in the grove. Only later did JSJr learn or realize elohim was there too. This suggest a very super stealth ability of resurrected elohim.

Alternatively, when the first vision took place, only resurrected jehovah was there. JSJr correctly reported the first vision accordingly. However, years later resurrected elohim traveled back in time and placed himself in the grove with JSJr and resurrected jehovah. From that later point in time, JSJr knew again correctly that there was threesome in the grove, resurrected elohim, resurrected jehovah, and JSJr.

I think time traveling, resurrected elohim or stealth resurrected elohim might be the best apologetic explanations of the changing versions of the first vision.

And I'm not scared
Light my candles in a daze ...
'Cause I've found god
Lithium, Nirvana (aka, Cobain's Ode to JSJr)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 pm 
God

Hi Just me,

just me wrote:
Ceeboo, I have a question. What does resurrection mean to you?

To be brought back to life after human death.

Quote:
Of course, LDS believe that God has a resurrected/perfect human body. LDS believe that all humans will be resurrected and have a perfect human body for eternity. Just curious what you believe. Not to derail the thread, but there is obviously going to be a different perspective from non-LDS believers.

A very short answer: (Perhaps would require an entire novel)
God has a very different meaning to me than to what I have been able to understand from my LDS friends.

Peace,
Ceeboo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 pm 
God

Gadyanton wrote: "This one is pretty simple. God has a body that looks like ours (per Mormons) and he can interact in our world. So what would happen if you dropped a train on him?"

He would probably get a headache, creat two new worlds and go down to relieve the pressure with two new 'Marys'.

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 am 
God

My favorite type of post. Thanks Gadianton!

I consider it a shame that people are unwilling to project super-human and fantastic powers and abilities on the gods out of a fear of getting it wrong or possibly looking childish. Let us now take the time to appreciate the possibility that the gods (resurrected beings of light) are exactly what we fantasized about as children! Why not?

So, in answer to your question, Gad, I would say that the locomotive would snap in two upon impact with the crown of God. A flash of light would burst forth and send a shock wave over the land, sending the ripe wheat shafts in neighboring farms on their backs in devotion to the most high. Upon realizing a locomotive was thrown upon Him, God would leap into the air with a fist on his hip and the other pointed to heaven and his piercing eye would begin to search for the villain who dared attempt destroy the king of kings.

Can a resurrected being be destroyed? Most definitely! Do resurrected beings have access to medical technology and magic healing potions and rituals? You bet.

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 pm 
Hermit

Thanks Z. That was a good answer. I think it has some severe problems, but I don't see any TBMs stepping up to defend it or any other theory.

I think this is interesting considering a recent Mormon Times article called Mormon Theology "rich". I have a problem buying this if no one can say so little as to what immortality actually is. Doesn't sound very rich to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 pm 
\m/ \m/

Gadianton wrote:
Thanks Z. That was a good answer. I think it has some severe problems, but I don't see any TBMs stepping up to defend it or any other theory.

I think this is interesting considering a recent Mormon Times article called Mormon Theology "rich". I have a problem buying this if no one can say so little as to what immortality actually is. Doesn't sound very rich to me.

Yea, Dean, interesting that those that are willing to live their lives by a certain creed in order to obtain a resurrected, glorified body aren't full of boundless information about what that means. Have they bought into something without even knowing what that 'reward' is?

And I'm not scared
'Cause I've found god

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm 
Hermit

Boundless would be one thing, Sock Puppet, but it appears we have not even minimal information about what the definition of immortality is.

How rich is that?

Hey I know, it's a mystery. And because it's a mystery, it's rich?

If this is correct, then Mormonism must be very rich, as given what science knows about the world, it's a huge-ass mystery how the Mormon God could be a part of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:55 pm 
\m/ \m/

Gadianton wrote:
Boundless would be one thing, Sock Puppet, but it appears we have not even minimal information about what the definition of immortality is.

How rich is that?

Hey I know, it's a mystery. And because it's a mystery, it's rich?

If this is correct, then Mormonism must be very rich, as given what science knows about the world, it's a huge-ass mystery how the Mormon God could be a part of it.

It amazes me how empty the fullness of the restored gospel actually is.

And I'm not scared
'Cause I've found god