Something which pleases me

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Something which pleases me

Post by _Blixa »

This post has connections to two recent threads: the one on the Dude's MAD "drug post" and liz's query about judgementalism. I really could have put it under either one, but I was so captivated by the synchonicity of this, so enchanted, that I decided to make a new thread.

I've been suffering through some extensive dental trauma for the last month. Some weekends I've been in so much pain I've been able to nothing but lie in bed and listen to my iPod. My physcial pain and suffering has been exacerbated by endless insurance wrangling and pathetic dentistry. It all came to head in a fight over whether I could get or even needed gas while having multiple root canals and extractions. Must. Have. Gas.

To pass the time in bed I've downloaded about 35 random episodes of the radio program, This American Life. I hadn't listened to it in a long while, so I wasn't familiar with one of their frequent contributors, Scott Carrier. Carrier is a writer who works at a radio station in Utah, so maybe some here are already familiar with his work. I've been slowly falling in love through my ear buds...

Last night I listened to him talk about arguing with a Mormon dentist over nitrous oxide. And making several judgmental pronouncements about Mormons and Mormonism...

You can listen to it here:

http://www.thisamericanlife.com/Radio_A ... ?year=1999

Its episode 141, October 1999. If you start around 18.43 you'll hear host Ira Glass give the set up for this section of the program (the force of the unspoken between people) which lead's into Carrier's short story...

Nitrous oxide is my very good friend, too.

There....were....no....golden....plates........
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Ray A

Re: Something which pleases me

Post by _Ray A »

Another anti-Mormon thread. Well, whaddeyer know. You not only have GAS, your anti-Mormon BILE is gas. What do you want? Sympathy? You think this thread sounds "cool". Maybe the gas is in your brain.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Nope no sympathy needed. Just a slight little bit of coicidence coming on the heels of two previous discussions here. I thought others might enjoy the clip and the way it speaks to a Mormon/nonmormon divide.

But hey, you don't got to listen. Or read my posts. Makes no nevermind to me.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."