Bokovoy on deification of kings - for Kevin and Fort

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_EnemyAce
_Emeritus

Post by _EnemyAce »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Hi EnemyAce,

I hope your reference to the jaws of ignorance wasn't referring to me. I am indeed ignorant, but my ignorance is all bark and no bite, I assure you. No danger of losing your foot if you put it here. ;-)

I find it interesting that you appear to be going farther than DB, in that you are arguing for divine kingship in royal Israelite theology (whereas David appears to have restricted his commentary to Ugarit and Mesopotamia). I recently posted a comment on DB's blog wherein I inquired about his views on a point Margaret Barker made in her essay "What Did King Josiah Reform," but he doesn't appear to have approved the comment. She basically argues that at King Solomon's coronation, he set himself up in the holy of holies of the temple and the people worshipped him. I don't buy the holy of holies bit (there was no temple at that time and the Tabernacle was at Nob), but the Bible does seem to indicate in one verse that Solomon was worshipped. I wonder if you have read that essay and if you have any thoughts on it.

-CK

Regarding the jaws of ignorance I was primarily referrencing my foot in my mouth which I am oft inclined to do. Other than that I probably do go a bit further than David in seeing Israelite kings following in their ancestor traits of becoming divine through a "royal marriage" with the sacred. In the case of the Mesopotamians this would be Inana. In the case of the Israelites I would have to point to the Song of Solomon as being primarily in the same vein as a "royal marriage" text. I have not read Barker's paper yet, although I believe I have it somewhere. It would not surprise me that Solomon would have done such since it is believed by some that the pre-exilic temple was a private family temple and not one for the masses.
"In a dogfight, indecision can be fatal. If you have even the slightest moment of hesitation -- then it is you who becomes the prey."
- Hans von Hammer
_EnemyAce
_Emeritus

Post by _EnemyAce »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Hi EnemyAce,

I hope your reference to the jaws of ignorance wasn't referring to me. I am indeed ignorant, but my ignorance is all bark and no bite, I assure you. No danger of losing your foot if you put it here. ;-)

I find it interesting that you appear to be going farther than DB, in that you are arguing for divine kingship in royal Israelite theology (whereas David appears to have restricted his commentary to Ugarit and Mesopotamia). I recently posted a comment on DB's blog wherein I inquired about his views on a point Margaret Barker made in her essay "What Did King Josiah Reform," but he doesn't appear to have approved the comment. She basically argues that at King Solomon's coronation, he set himself up in the holy of holies of the temple and the people worshipped him. I don't buy the holy of holies bit (there was no temple at that time and the Tabernacle was at Nob), but the Bible does seem to indicate in one verse that Solomon was worshipped. I wonder if you have read that essay and if you have any thoughts on it.

-CK

Regarding the jaws of ignorance I was primarily referencing my foot in my mouth which I am oft inclined to do. Other than that I probably do go a bit further than David in seeing Israelite kings following in their ancestor traits of becoming divine through a "royal marriage" with the sacred. In the case of the Mesopotamians this would be Inana. In the case of the Israelites I would have to point to the Song of Solomon as being primarily in the same vein as a "royal marriage" text. I have not read Barker's paper yet, although I believe I have it somewhere. It would not surprise me that Solomon would have done such since it is believed by some that the pre-exilic temple was a private family temple and not one for the masses.
"In a dogfight, indecision can be fatal. If you have even the slightest moment of hesitation -- then it is you who becomes the prey."
- Hans von Hammer