Mormon Family on Dr. Phil

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

My favorite Dr.Phil story from Wed, 21 Sep 2005 (Never liked the guy, so this made me laugh):

According to the NY POST:

So, what’s gotten into America’s lovable, rationalist pop-culture shrink? I do mean Dr. Phil, a man who was unknown before Oprah gave him a forum. Now he is behaving like a Diva Deluxe. Last Friday, the good doctor was to speak at an obesity forum being held by California’s first lady, Maria Shriver. As a condition of his appearance, Phil insisted the governor introduce him. In between, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s calendar filled up and he felt he had to cancel.

Maria had Dr. Phil called, not once but twice, telling him the governor could not introduce him, just in case he wanted to back out. The day of the symposium, she arrived to find Dr. Phil sitting, pouting. He refused to speak. Finally she insisted he talk to her, and he said, “I am not happy.” Maria said she was so sorry but they had called twice to advise him of the change. He stormed, “No one called me.” An aide said nervously, “Yes, Phil, they did!” Dr. Phil was still irate: “No one told me!”

The great analyst of “getting along” continued to huff and puff. Someone said nervously that perhaps the governor could come by after all. Maria said, “No, we are not redoing the governor’s schedule. Phil, I suggest you just leave if you feel this way.” Dr. Phil insisted he had to use the bathroom first. Maria indicated it was down the hall. Dr. Phil said he could not use a public bathroom. Maria said calmly, “Well, that’s the only one we have. Use it or not. Take your camera crew and go.”

After the doctor availed himself of the facilities, he came back sheepishly and said, “I might as well stay now that I am here.” Maria told him he didn’t have to and she advised him, “My 7-year-old doesn’t act the way you do.” When Dr. Phil pled exhaustion from being absorbed in the Katrina rescues, Maria told him, “You’re tired? How do you think those people feel?” So just in case you wonder, this exchange was not leaked by the first lady. Many people experienced this exchange, and it’s the talk of California and TV land.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Who's pefect, eh Gaz? ;-) Warm regards, Roger
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Roger Morrison wrote:Who's pefect, eh Gaz? ;-) Warm regards, Roger

I think Dr Phil's reaction was more about his celebrity status than about him as a human being.

I'm involved in a community event that is bringing the band, The Cars, to a small town near me. The back line is enough to choke a horse. 15 pages of "6 hotel suites, all with 2 rooms, all with..." blah, blah, blah. It's the whole celebrity thing. Maybe that's what was afflicting Dr Phil. He thought his celebrity status was being dissed, and he reacted like a spoiled brat... oops, celebrity.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I am of the opinion that Dr. Phil is a blowhard of the highest order. There is no psychiatrist in the world who would ask people to come on telivision and offer to fix their "disorder" in half an hour, well 22 min minus the commercials, actually 15 after the yappings out of the way, and time to roll credits.

And that's just my armchair opinion. I'd love to hear Wade weigh in on Dr. Phil.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Gazelam wrote:I am of the opinion that Dr. Phil is a blowhard of the highest order. There is no psychiatrist in the world who would ask people to come on telivision and offer to fix their "disorder" in half an hour, well 22 min minus the commercials, actually 15 after the yappings out of the way, and time to roll credits.

And that's just my armchair opinion. I'd love to hear Wade weigh in on Dr. Phil.

I've never watched him, but it sounds like he did the proper thing with this family: he referred them for counseling.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

Gazelam wrote:I am of the opinion that Dr. Phil is a blowhard of the highest order. There is no psychiatrist in the world who would ask people to come on telivision and offer to fix their "disorder" in half an hour, well 22 min minus the commercials, actually 15 after the yappings out of the way, and time to roll credits.

I don't watch Dr. Phil anymore, but when I did, he was more of a "wake up call" for the families and always PROVIDES some of the best counseling or help post show, he can find them in their area. I always heard him reference by name, which services they were going to provide their guests with. I was never under the impression that he intends the viewers to believe he is fixing their disorders in half an hour. He is very upfront about that.

Personally, I liked Dr. Phil more when he was a regular guest on Oprah and there was more than one voice giving advice and interaction.
His show can be boring at times.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith