A gospel perspective on Global Warming

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

A gospel perspective on Global Warming

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

According to LDS Gospel (and I assume Christianity teaches the same thing) before christ's second coming, the world will be burned like stubble. When I was a kid during the cold war, I was taught by my sunday school teachers that this probably meant a nuclear war would mark the commencement of the second coming. Of course this scared the crap out of me. Why do adults find it necessary to scare kids to death? Anyway, this once popular pseudo-doctrine has quietly disappeared.

So here's a thought for any TBMs here. Do you think global warming is the event that will burn the world before Christ's second coming? Will global warming escalate into global burning? I would like to start a new pseudo-doctrine, but since I don't go to church much anymore, I need you to spread the word. Global warming is NOT a bad thing. It is part of the plan of happiness. It simply means christ will soon be coming as the world slowly warms, then burns. I would love to hear my pet doctrine in semenary or gospel doctrine class. If it catches on, we might actually hear it over the pulpit in general conference. Who's with me?
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

From what I understand, Christ will appear during as battle taking place. He comes down and lands on the hill and it splits in half. This is after the temple has been rebuilt in Jerusalem (meaning the dome of the rock has been torn down).

My guess is that the fire may be the Holy Ghost purifying the earth as if by fire. The Glory of God perhaps?

Not really sure as the millinium is not one of my favorite subjects to study.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Gazelam wrote:From what I understand, Christ will appear during as battle taking place. He comes down and lands on the hill and it splits in half. This is after the temple has been rebuilt in Jerusalem (meaning the dome of the rock has been torn down).

My guess is that the fire may be the Holy Ghost purifying the earth as if by fire. The Glory of God perhaps?

Not really sure as the millinium is not one of my favorite subjects to study.

"Not really sure..." Honesty IS the best policy, congrats Bro ;-)

Really, how can anyone be sure? I mean really "sure"? Other than a "testimony" of something impossible to testify of, as it is a 'never-happened' event... A 'never-to-happen' event?? IMSCO, a 'never-need-to-happen-event'! That would be a better 'thing' to teach in SS, GD class... Cuz life is good and i am grateful!! Warm regards, Roger
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

ala Indiana Jones perhaps?
_EnemyAce
_Emeritus

Re: A gospel perspective on Global Warming

Post by _EnemyAce »

SatanWasSetUp wrote:According to LDS Gospel (and I assume Christianity teaches the same thing) before christ's second coming, the world will be burned like stubble. When I was a kid during the cold war, I was taught by my sunday school teachers that this probably meant a nuclear war would mark the commencement of the second coming. Of course this scared the crap out of me. Why do adults find it necessary to scare kids to death? Anyway, this once popular pseudo-doctrine has quietly disappeared.

So here's a thought for any TBMs here. Do you think global warming is the event that will burn the world before Christ's second coming? Will global warming escalate into global burning? I would like to start a new pseudo-doctrine, but since I don't go to church much anymore, I need you to spread the word. Global warming is NOT a bad thing. It is part of the plan of happiness. It simply means christ will soon be coming as the world slowly warms, then burns. I would love to hear my pet doctrine in semenary or gospel doctrine class. If it catches on, we might actually hear it over the pulpit in general conference. Who's with me?

Given that the temperature has raised less than one degree in a hundred years we'll have a looooong wait.
"In a dogfight, indecision can be fatal. If you have even the slightest moment of hesitation -- then it is you who becomes the prey."
- Hans von Hammer
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I hope it's not global warming. I'm still hoping for nuclear war or unusual solar activity or large meteor collision. I want God to have a sense of drama such that the Millenium can have a lot of great movies about Second Coming not a boring greenhouse gases scenario.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hey Ace & Nehor! Luv yer "Tags" or whatever ya call 'em?! Gave me a smile and a "Right-on!" ... Roger :-)