Yet more evidence of Mr. "D"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Runtu wrote:
wenglund wrote:What's not positive and constructive about informing Guy of certain attitudes he manifests that may well impede his ability to have healthy and functional relations with those he ridicules and slams (presuming that at some point that is they type of relationship he may wish to have with them)?

Wade, your concern for the state of my relationships is touching. But seeing how you know jack sh** about me outside of posts on an anonymous discussion board, I'd be careful about drawing too many hard and fast conclusions.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

guy sajer wrote:Wade, your concern for the state of my relationships is touching. But seeing how you know jack sh** about me outside of posts on an anonymous discussion board, I'd be careful about drawing too many hard and fast conclusions.

Most of the time I think Wade is being sincere, though I have my moments. But you've hit the nail on the head: it's next to impossible to make conclusions and recommendations about people over the Internet.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Runtu wrote:Believe it or not, Wade, you have really influenced me to reconsider my approach to the church, and that reconsideration has been very positive for me. I hope you reconsider your approach to exmormons and leave out the personal jabs. You probably wouldn't have met such resistance from me in the first place if you had refrained from them early in our conversation.

I didn't realize that I had even the least positive impact on anyone here. So, it is good to finally learn that I had in your case. I appreciate you sharing that with me, and it gives me encouragement to do as you suggest. Hopefully, it will become contageous, and jabs of all sorts will be significantly diminished, if not eliminated, between believers and non-believers alike.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

wenglund wrote:I didn't realize that I had even the least positive impact on anyone here. So, it is good to finally learn that I had in your case. I appreciate you sharing that with me, and it gives me encouragement to do as you suggest. Hopefully, it will become contageous, and jabs of all sorts will be significantly diminished, if not eliminated, between believers and non-believers alike.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Yep, you have, Wade. The first post you ever made to me was an insult, and when I asked you why you were making this personal, you said it was because I had made it personal by criticizing the church. It was that, not my resistance to change, that colored my interactions with you and still have me wondering from time to time whether you're at all sincere. I've tried to be consistent in asking for people to be kind to each other. It may not have been received well over on MAD, but I'd like to think I've had some sort of impact, however small.

I don't care if people believe or not or whether they even respect each other's beliefs. But at least they can behave themselves. I'm trying.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

guy sajer wrote:
Runtu wrote:
wenglund wrote:What's not positive and constructive about informing Guy of certain attitudes he manifests that may well impede his ability to have healthy and functional relations with those he ridicules and slams (presuming that at some point that is they type of relationship he may wish to have with them)?

Wade, your concern for the state of my relationships is touching. But seeing how you know jack sh** about me outside of posts on an anonymous discussion board, I'd be careful about drawing too many hard and fast conclusions.

That is wise advice, and I do try to be careful about drawing any hard and fast conclusion. That is why I often use the non-hard-and-fast qualifier: "may". Perhaps, though, I can do better.

Also, I wasn't aware that you were posting anonymously. I had thought that Guy Sajer was your real name, and thus your family and friends may chance learning of your harsh sentiments towards their faith by happening onto this board. I am glad to learn now that may not be the case.

However, I have found that even the best attempts at keep disparaging or perhaps even prejudiced sentiments anonymous may at some point fail--either by way of a "Freudian slip", or conveyed in ways that you may not even be aware (a slight snarl of your lip, or an edge to your vocal tones, etc. when speaking of the Church).

Such disparaging or perhaps prejudiced sentiments, even when successfully kept anonymous, may also negatively color and distort how you interpret your friends and family's interactions with you, which may subconsciously influence how you react to them, and also what impact they may have on your disposition--hence, the somewhat defensive "Mormon Vortex" perception, not to mention your own self-perception (where you may have a false sense of superiority that may manifest itself inadvertantly in the form of condescesion, etc.).

But, lacking credibility with you as I evidently do, my mentioning the above may be for naught, even given my best of intentions. Whatever the case, I do wish you all the best.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

wenglund wrote:Also, I wasn't aware that you were posting anonymously. I had thought that Guy Sajer was your real name, and thus your family and friends may chance learning of your harsh sentiments towards their faith by happening onto this board. I am glad to learn now that may not be the case.

However, I have found that even the best attempts at keep disparaging or perhaps even prejudiced sentiments anonymous may at some point fail--either by way of a "Freudian slip", or conveyed in ways that you may not even be aware (a slight snarl of your lip, or an edge to your vocal tones, etc. when speaking of the Church).

Such disparaging or perhaps prejudiced sentiments, even when successfully kept anonymous, may also negatively color and distort how you interpret your friends and family's interactions with you, which may subconsciously influence how you react to them, and also what impact they may have on your disposition--hence, the somewhat defensive "Mormon Vortex" perception, not to mention your own self-perception (where you may have a false sense of superiority that may manifest itself inadvertantly in the form of condescesion, etc.).

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Guy Sajer wis the author of the book "The Forgotten Soldier," which is an autobiographical account of his experience with the Germany army on the Russian Front during WW II.

I agree that one must be ever vigilant about making sure that one's sideline of posting rhetorical jabs at Mormonism don't spill over into one's real life and relationships; that and one's extreme disdain for what one considers an authoritarian quasi-cult.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Wade now espouses Richard D as a "Mr. D".

I remember when he once espoused Christ Tolworthy as "Mr. D"... until he was linked to Chris' latest articles on Mormonism.

Heh. I suspect if we hear anything from Richard D on the subject of Mormonism again, he will undergo a similar transformation (noting he's already made quite negative comments about LDS tending to attack critics)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com