What I knew about Joseph Smith' polygamy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

A search of lds.org using "Joseph Smith polyandry" results in 0 results.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

harmony wrote:A search of lds.org using "Joseph Smith polyandry" results in 0 results.

Well, if you want to learn about Ford automobiles, you go to a Ford auto dealer, right? I guess not!
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Thanks for the input. Runtu, what is Tambuli? I did a search for it and am guessing from the reference I found on lds.org it might be a magazine for the military? I don't remember ever hearing about it.

I did read the Ensign faithfully when I was at home. In 79 I was on my mission, so it's understandable that I missed that one. Perhaps I didn't keep up with the Ensign when I was at BYU, I really can't recall. I thought I read every issue, but maybe I didn't. And maybe my own confirmation bias was at work, as well. I adored the prophet Joseph and was more than willing to associate polygamy largely with BY, who seemed a more dictatorial, distant character. So perhaps I read these things and my mind helpfully erased them for me. Or perhaps I interpreted it in the platonic manner that some members of MAD do today. My adoration of Joseph Smith, despite the fact that I never could obtain a "real" testimony through the witness of the HG of his mission, made it that much more difficult for me when I read Mormon Polygamy. However, as dismayed and upset as I was, I still would have continued to believe had God answered my sincere prayers about Joseph Smith' calling as prophet.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com