Who deserves to be banned from MAD?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Based on their behavior, who most deserves to be banned from the MAD board?

Total votes: 0

_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mister Scratch wrote:Pahoran is a genuinely bad and evil human being. In his zealous efforts to defend "his" precious Church, he has put people's lives in jeopardy. He very callously "outed" a critic named JP Holding, who had adopted a pseudonym after working in a prison for some time. Obviously, Holding had adopted the pseudonym in order to protect himself and his family. How odd that a "TBM" like Pahoran seemed totally uncaring about any of this. And, how odd that you would defend him.

I would not go that far. I think Pahoran genuinely believes that he is in the right, and maybe he's the living proof of what why me said: it's war, and every available weapon will be used. Way back when on a.r.m., I couldn't understand what motivated him to act the way he did, and I still don't. I don't hate him or even dislike him. I guess I just can't imagine treating anyone the way he treats others. It's just not in my nature.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

moksha wrote:I like Beliefnet's Rules of conduct which says no members may insult or use ad hominem attacks at one another. It further excludes the excessive use of profanity. Under their rules, a lot of the conduct at MAD and MD would need to be changed. Most everyone would be okay, but the ones that continually abuse these rules would be banned. Personally, I think it is alright to be huffy, but I have seen it carried to an extreme where folks were being abused.

Hear, hear. I am a regular member on three other Christian forums, and they have a very high standard of behaviour. Abuse and personal attacks are simply not permitted, and even sarcasm and consdescension are given very short shrift. The rules are applied equally to all members, even though the sites are owned by one particular denomination (in fact members of that denomination are usually held to a higher standard than others). I was certainly not prepared for the 'standard' of behaviour at MAD.

[qote]When I first came to the FAIR board, I was in for a rude awakening. When I was first insulted by Pahoran, I complained to the moderator, since I was certain that this was not sanctioned behavior. What I got back from Dunamis was a notice to quit my whining since I brought it on myself and hence I deserved it, and to quit taking up her time. This was a learning experience for me, since it constituted internet cultural shock.[/quote]

Hey, at least you received a response. I reported about half a dozen posts, and didn't receive a single acknowledgfment from the moderators.

Would I want to see Juliann or Pahoran banned? No, I would like to extend the Golden Rule toward them. It would be nice however, it they could refrain from being so pissy - but that is just my preference and I would allow them the freedom to be themselves as long as they are not abusing others.

I would like to see them banned, on the basis of the Golden Rule itself - if I was being as unChristlike as they are, I believe it would be entirely right to ban me.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Who should be banned from MAD? None of them. Let them be who and what they are, if for no other purpose than to show the worth of their souls.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Runtu wrote:
And it frankly worries me that you see no need for integrity in defending the church.

Notice my play on words: I have none, except my good name.

My good name gives me integrity because of the behavior my name represents. ;=)
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Fortigurn wrote:
Hear, hear. I am a regular member on three other Christian forums, and they have a very high standard of behaviour. Abuse and personal attacks are simply not permitted, and even sarcasm and consdescension are given very short shrift. The rules are applied equally to all members, even though the sites are owned by one particular denomination (in fact members of that denomination are usually held to a higher standard than others). I was certainly not prepared for the 'standard' of behaviour at MAD.

And I am sure that on the christian forums you post on they will treat pro-lds christians with respect and with christian brotherhood. And not ban them if they do not tow the line on belief. Right?
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

why me wrote:And I am sure that on the christian forums you post on they will treat pro-lds christians with respect and with christian brotherhood.

Yes, absolutely. Come and try if you don't believe me. Look at this forum, where Sargon took a few knocks but was generally treated with a high degree of respect (far higher than that handed out to non-LDS at MAD). That forum isn't even the best example I could give.

On that forum Sargon gave a very telling description of MAD:

Sargon wrote:I disagree with the way that many of the LDS present their arguments, and agree that many of them should be banned. I encourage you to not make the mistake of considering that a fair introduction to LDS culture. That site is home to what many LDS would consider a small minority, as far as culture is concerned.

As for Pahoran, I think he is terribly rude and not at all representative of the attitudes our church strives to stand for.

Emphasis mine. Don't you think it's significant that one of your own members thought it necessary to say such things? How can non-LDS posters be accused of being bigoted and prejudiced against MAD for saying such things, when one of your own comes to the same conclusions?

And not ban them if they do not tow the line on belief. Right?

Yes, completely correct. And anyway, why would any LDS member be banned from a forum just because they don't 'tow the line on belief' of the denomination which runs that forum? It's to be expected that they have different beliefs, since they're LDS.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Fortigurn wrote:
why me wrote:
And because of this, when he is in fine fighting spirit he is a force to be reckoned with. I give Pahoran a thumbs up.

In other words, you approve of his methods.

Yes, in many respects I do. But not in everything. But on the other hand, the critics also need to learn to be respectful and engage in good dialogue and debate. Just yesterday, one critic was reprimanded for bringing a correlation between mass murder and Mormonism. I can understand why critics do not like Pahoran but....he does his job.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Yes, in many respects I do. But not in everything. But on the other hand, the critics also need to learn to be respectful and engage in good dialogue and debate. Just yesterday, one critic was reprimanded for bringing a correlation between mass murder and Mormonism. I can understand why critics do not like Pahoran but....he does his job.

The evaluation of Pahoran is a classic case of personal bias, perhaps on both sides. Why Me does what many believers do - point out that Pahoran "does his job" well. Given that the majority of Pahoran's postings consist of ad homs, I guess we know what his job is.

Pahoran engages so regularly in sneering and dismissive behavior he would have been permanently banned from both Z and Mad long ago if he were a critic.

by the way, Walmart, I'd like to know which post compared Mormonism to mass murder.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

why me wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:In other words, you approve of his methods.

Yes, in many respects I do.

That's very disappointing.

But on the other hand, the critics also need to learn to be respectful and engage in good dialogue and debate.

The whole time I was on MAD, I saw 'the critics' doing exactly that. The effort to do the same on the part of the Mormons was minimal, and sometimes entirely non-existant. Can you explain why so many of the critics on MAD are better behaved than the Mormons?

Just yesterday, one critic was reprimanded for allegedly bringing a correlation between mass murder and Mormonism.

Fixed.

I can understand why critics do not like Pahoran but....he does his job.

What job is that? Can you understand why fellow Mormon Sargon objects to Pahoran's posts? It's because Sargon has a higher standard of behaviour than either you or Pahoran. I can respect that.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I can understand why critics do not like Pahoran but....he does his job.

What job is that? Can you understand why fellow Mormon Sargon objects to Pahoran's posts? It's because Sargon has a higher standard of behaviour than either you or Pahoran. I can respect that.

Pahoran's job is to be MAD's pitbull, much like it's Packer's job to be the 12's pitbull.