Drugs and Religion - The Opium of the People.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

beastie wrote:I read Newberg's book a while ago and wasn't surprised by the correlation. I know from personal experience that the clearly distinct spiritual events that occurred to me (I'm not talking about warm fuzzies) felt very much like I imagine a shot of heroin would feel like. I've never done heroin but I've heard that it is so addictive because it causes an instant sensation of nirvana. (at least at the beginning). Once having experienced that spiritual sensation, I did indeed crave it. Having discovered, with the help of the LDS church, that fasting helped induce those experiences, I fasted every single Sunday for the couple of years after joining the church. It did help bring on those sensations, but normally not as strong as that first one, the truly addictive one. I've actually toyed with the idea of learning to do intense meditations for the sole purpose of recreating those events.

Hi beastie. Have you read anything by Stanislov Grof? He started working with breathing/meditation and music therapy to experience that high you are speaking about. Such seminars are regularly offered at the Esalen Institute, and, I'm sure, other places around the world as well. I haven't tried it (I prefer the quicker way), but my friend tried it and was amazed. Anyway, just a thought. All the best to you.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

You mean that the same centers of the brain are responsible for releasing endorphins? And that these same centers may have external (religious) or internal (drugs) triggers?

Groundbreaking.
*rolls eyes*