Admin Details....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Admin Details....

Post by _Yoda »

Hi guys! It's your friendly neighborhood Mod, here.

Shades and I talked for a few minutes last night, and we would like to engage your help with a few administrative issues.

The quote feature is a great asset to the Message Board. It allows us to correctly quote others and address points in an easy-to-read format.

Superfluous use of the quote feature, however, can, over time, put a strain on the bandwidth of the site. It also makes it more difficult to follow the actual emphasis of the thread. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

harmony wrote:
maklelan wrote:
harmony wrote:
maklelan wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Well, I didn't call him a liar for that, so I guess I'm ok.

True.

Who Knows wrote:And if you want to play the silly games, and nitpick, Steph's question was actually 2 questions:

- Will Christ return to the US?

He's returned to the US dozens of times since his ascension. He's also returned to Jerusalem and Galilee and dozens of other locales.

Not to nitpick, but I'd like to see some collaboration for this statement. Like maybe a photo.

I'm afraid no photos are available to me right now. Sorry.

No photos, no witnesses, no video, no nothing. And we're supposed to just take your word for it? (Do you ever listen to yourself?)

Please note, I'm not trying to pick on these specific posters. I'm just using this thread string as an example because it was the first one I could find. ;)

See the long string of conversation here? It might have been easier to decipher if Harmony had posted her reply in this manner rather than copying the entire conversation thread:

maklelan wrote:I'm afraid no photos are available to me right now. Sorry.

No photos, no witnesses, no video, no nothing. And we're supposed to just take your word for it? (Do you ever listen to yourself?)

It does take a few extra minutes to pair down a response, and if you are uncomfortable due to lack of computer skills, I understand. You are more than welcome to PM me or Shades, and we can help walk you through the process.

We don't want to stop the flow of free ideas, so don't feel skiddish about posting if you are unsure about the quote feature. Shades and I will do our best to edit some of these longer thread quotes as needed. We will NOT be editing your content...so no worries there.

Thanks for your help, guys, and PM us if you have any questions or concerns.

Liz
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Unless one is into geometry art, these long quote trees are difficult to read.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Liz and other mods:

I am pretty sure there is a way to change the database so that when you reply, you only reply to that one poster.
I moderate another board, and I am familiar with how php works. Let me know if you have any questions.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Thanks, Not!

I'll email Keene, and maybe you two can coordinate some things. He has admin access. I only have Moderator access.

PM me if there is something I can do with my access. I think you probably need to be a Site Administrator to change settings.

Thanks again!

:)

Liz
_keene
_Emeritus

Post by _keene »

There are some mods and plugins I could install to do that, but I'd rather not. Sometimes the multiple quotes come in handy, and there's too much of a chance that things would start getting really buggy.

Self-control is better than forced control anyway. Even with quotes. :D