It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stephen Smoot’s Masterclass in Victim Blaming
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 am 
Nursery

Gadianton wrote:
Exiled wrote:
Does anyone think Smoot might be doing this to impress the Midge...

Not directly. Smoot is trying to impress the same guy with his aggression that the Midge is trying to impress with his aggression.

Is it working?

Yes; with qualifications. The guy at the top knows the extremes are embarrassing, which is why he conscientiously (not because he isn't paying attention or doesn't have time, it's well thought out) refrains from upvoting many of these comments. Only Kiwi57 upvotes the worst of the worst, on purpose, to provoke his adversaries, even if he doesn't really believe what he's upvoting. However, comments over the edge and an embarrassment, are still positive, because they show loyalty, which can't be rivaled, and so in a secondary way, these extreme comments are still impressive for the guy at the top.

Exactly,

I had a faculty member at BYU whom Smoot has worked with call him, a "Dan Peterson Mini-Me wannabe"

He also said Steven Smoot was they type of student who they never had to worry about his shelf breaking.

This was said as a joking type of compliment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm 
Seedy Academician

honorentheos wrote:
Ironically, I think my participation on this message board is indirectly the result of bad apologetics which the Rommelator put out related to the first vision on the old MAD board. First Vision issues were among the key problems for me in that it undermined the premise of the restoration. While I was participating in Church despite my questions, a post on another board directed me to something he had put up at MAD that supposedly addressed those issues. I admit, I was still in enough at that point that I felt actual relief at the suggestion there were answers. It has the distinction of being the last time I ever entertained the possibility the Church might still be what it claimed to be. Turned out the Rommelator was relying on bad faith arguments on top of being a jerk. His claim relied on late attestations of saints claiming to have heard the first vision story as early as 1831 while the testimonies stating this dated between the 1850s to the 1900s. Not only did it prove unhelpful, it took away any possibility I held onto that there was something true if obscured in the origin story of the Church.

Bad defense is worse than no defense.

I think you are absolutely right in seeing Smoot's clever exercise as entirely beside the point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:25 pm 
God

Dr Moore wrote:
First time reading The Pilgrim’s Progress, fascinating.

The parallels to Lehi’s dream practically scream from the pages.

“Dreamed a dream”
Host holding a book
“Forbidden paths”
“The way”
People in building calling to stop moving forward
Field
Reward of celestial / life eternal at the top of the hill
Dream interpreter at length, piece by piece

Many more themes and key phrases from Lehi’s dream and Nephi’s interpretation

Wow.

Surely someone has written on this already...???

When I read it, I remember thinking that I was totally sure that Joseph Smith had read this book prior to dictating the Book of Mormon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm 
Founder & Visionary

I can't believe Mr. Smoot left out the most important paragraph! It's the one that goes between his last and his second-to-last paragraphs:

"Nevertheless, Jim knew that both his eternal salvation and his eventual godhood was at stake, so he dared not exchange his birthright for a mess of pottage. He set his prejudices aside and, with an open mind, went to FAIRmormon in search of any rebuttals to the troubling issues he'd read about in the CES Letter. He devoured the material there, spending many hours over many days learning as many faithful responses to the issues as he possibly could. But alas, his heart slowly sunk even further than where it had been before when, time after time, even the believing apologists verified that the raw facts laid out in the CES letter were 100% true."

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 pm 
Seedy Academician

Well said, Dr. Shades!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm 
God

LOL Shades!

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 pm 
God

Exiled wrote:
Does anyone think Smoot might be doing this to impress the Midge, a man who recently disparaged Smoot's sexuality? Midge loves in your face attack Mormonism and young Smoot is giving it to him.

Young? That guy is probably in his 30s and he is still a virgin. I feel sorry for him. But I am confident that guy will grow up and become an agnostic in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 pm 
God

I was under the impression that Stephen Smoot was the same Stephen Smoot who posted as the Rommelator on MAD, and was called on a mission sometime around 2010. I don't think he's in his 30s yet. He has always came across as older than his years, to his credit. But then again, he seems to have found a bit of a mental rut that could be ruinous if he fails to get out of it at some point. Mormonism. It's the gift that keeps on giving. And Stephen is evidence that no matter how hard some people work at trying to give it away they can't seem to get it off their own backs. You have to give him a little sympathy for that if for nothing else. He works pretty damn hard to try and get other people to take some of it back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 pm 
God

honorentheos wrote:
I was under the impression that Stephen Smoot was the same Stephen Smoot who posted as the Rommelator on MAD, and was called on a mission sometime around 2010. I don't think he's in his 30s yet.

In 2009. The guy is at least 29 years old.

https://www.plonialmonimormon.com/about

Last edited by DoubtingThomas on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Exiled wrote:
Does anyone think Smoot might be doing this to impress the Midge, a man who recently disparaged Smoot's sexuality? Midge loves in your face attack Mormonism and young Smoot is giving it to him.

Young? That guy is probably in his 30s and he is still a virgin. I feel sorry for him. But I am confident that guy will grow up and become an agnostic in the near future.

He means that he's young Smoot compared to/in relation to Midge the Ancient.

Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm 
God

honorentheos wrote:
But then again, he seems to have found a bit of a mental rut that could be ruinous if he fails to get out of it at some point. Mormonism.

He will get out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm 
God

Stem wrote:
I remember the name Rommelator.

Here is a refresher on the Rommelator from when he was a high school student and apologist-in-embryo, by our friend Kerry the Backyard Professor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEaK9s8qcgg&feature=related

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 pm 
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Oh my, Moshka!

The Rommelator has undergone a notable transformation since high school! He lost, and in my opinion wisely so, the arrowhead necklace.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 pm 
God

Nice, moksha.

Starting at minute 5:58 one gets the true life story behind Stephens own experience related to the OP. If a 15 year old can read Gee and realize Charles Larsen had his attack on the Book of Abraham all wrong then it must be due to some personal failing that others can't do the same, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm 
God

Oh my good gosh!!!!! I forgot all about that video. Man, ya know, in some ways I miss those days being a clown and having fun........ wow Moksha, thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Holy toledo.......

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:57 pm 
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Dear Philo,

I wonder if, while on this stroll down memory lane, you would do us newcomers the great favor of regaling us with a battle story or two.

For instance, how inspiring was it to publish, arm in arm on the front lines, with the withering Pahoran? Who else did you “discover” and why did you know they would rise to greatness in Mopologetics? Funniest blunder you ever made in public during your peak years?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am 
God

Looking at that video of Smoot, makes me wonder where he went astray. He was so full of energy and innocence back then. Too bad he succumbed to DCP and Midge with their false superiority and nastiness.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen